• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilt motor running hot

xactorocker

NAXJA Forum User
hey i have a few questions about my new engine.
i just rebuilt the whole thing top to bottom and am getting some higher temps. it seems to be right past 210 but doesn't ever go under 210. its full of break-in oil, has new radiator, water pump, thermostat, new heater and rad hoses. is it normal for a new engine with break-in oil to run a little hot or is there something else i should try and replace. thanks you for the help.

It is normal for a rebuilt engine to run a little warmer. The new rings have a higher friction until they break-in/mate to the honed cylinders. Likewise, if you have a hydraulic lifter camshaft, some additional heat is generated as the camshaft lobes mate to the hydraulic lifters.

Best regards,

CJR

thank you for the help it makes sense that the friction would cause heat in the engine, i just wanted to check with some people that know more than i do. thanks for the help

Back