• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar mount and sway bar interference

Dzldust

NAXJA Forum User
1996 Jeep XJ built for light trails so previous owner wasn’t worried about street manners just Offroad performance,I decided after a thrilling highway ride to add the sway bar back to front since this will be 90% street driven with some light trails and beach time .PO installed some nice parts including a Ruff Stuff track bar setup,only thing was it’s the bracket for “wider” axles so it hangs off frame enough that factory sway bar will not clear , No way around it,factory sway bar will not work,it’s 34” wide inside to inside,I need atleast a sway bar 36” wide to clear this bracket.

Possible Solution: find a wider sway bar?

Another solid solution but one I’d rather not do : cut it all off and weld in the Track bar bracket for stock axle width and shorten track bar.

Rather find a wider sway bar,anybody ever run into this ?

How about trackbar relocation brackets, they are pretty much needed after 3" of lift?

...... (swaybar) relocation brackets, they are pretty much needed after 3" of lift?

I don't think swaybar relocation brackets are "needed", but they may be a problem solver for Dzldust.

I would just buy a track bar and frame bracket that fit correctly with the swaybar.

Last edited:
I'd just go buy the correct bracket/trackbar.

How about trackbar relocation brackets, they are pretty much needed after 3" of lift?

I meant to say a "sway bar re-location" bracket!

This is a question that I would love to see a concrete answer to. When doing OTK steering many people sacrifice track bar length, which is IMO too big of a cause of bump steer to ignore. I like the idea of outboarding the frame side of the track bar to get the length closer to that of the drag link, but it leaves no room for a sway bar in the OEM location.

Has anybody ever moved their frame-side trackbar mount outboard (like the RuffStuff outside-frame panhard bracket) while also using a swaybar? Maybe a custom antirock setup?

This is the exact situation I have,previous posters must not realize what I’m asking,there is no relocation Or drop bracket that Will allow the factory sway bar to work .Thats why I asked about a wider sway bar,the Antirock will not work as well .Its a different issue than most will encounter for sure

You can call accutune have them valve set of fox 2.0 shocks to suit your needs. Use the low speed compression adjuster to tighten up road handling.

You may not need a track bar.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Maybe.
Over the counter shocks are designed to work for everyone.
Removing a swaybar will definitely give the shicks a work out and probably aren't ny on the market sold over the counter for jeeps valved heavy enough to control the jeep

Track bar on my dodge pickup is 38" wide

Probably just go to the junk yard and measure bars. Drill bokt fab whatever you have to to make whatever you want to work work for you.

Could move bar forward to clear track bar bracket other bars may require moving it forward anyways

Kyb monomax vakved for dodge pickups worked incredibly well for me with sway bar removed on the street

This is a question that I would love to see a concrete answer to. When doing OTK steering many people sacrifice track bar length, which is IMO too big of a cause of bump steer to ignore. I like the idea of outboarding the frame side of the track bar to get the length closer to that of the drag link, but it leaves no room for a sway bar in the OEM location.

Has anybody ever moved their frame-side trackbar mount outboard (like the RuffStuff outside-frame panhard bracket) while also using a swaybar? Maybe a custom antirock setup?
a buddy and i did this to his jeep...
https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1158884

you run into clearance issues with the sway bar, tire, and track bar bracket all trying to occupy the same space if you make the track bar bracket too far outboard. but we took everything we could get.

the better, but harder, way to do get more track bar length would be to take the trackbar past the passenger side coil spring and and onto the C like the petty cash guys did.

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245555137

Back