• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody with an ARB...

cjstefan

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to find out how far they stick out from the grill and how far they hang down in the center. All the winch bumpers I'm finding stick out super far and are like 5" tall so the winch sits too high. Most of the decent ones are also just a bit less than the ARB once you get bars on them. Anybody wanna take a couple measurements for me? I'd greatly appreciate it. Better yet if you're anywhere close to Western Maryland could I meet up with you and take a look at yours? Thanks folks

The stubby style bumpers with hidden winch is what I would be looking at. Usually cheaper and best accent angle

Dirtbound Mojave bumper with Boostwerks Engineering Comp Mount, Warn M8000 winch.

I0BwbUa.jpg

HeksSWo.jpg

Thats how its done! Awesome combination there for a sleak look, better approach angles, keeping your winch out of isht, and keeping airflow for cooling as close to factory. Thats my checklist for a perfect bumper. D ring tabs stinger even mounts can all be added if the actual deaign allows for the others you are golden IMO

Last edited:
I agree with above. I'm a fan of "bad dad can" winch bumpers for the same reasons mentioned above.
Also don't forget it's nice to have an integrated steering brace included. My plan is to build something similar with my own spin on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I appreciate the responses everyone. The reason I'm looking at the arb is where I'm moving in about a month, it's not a matter of if I'll hit a deer but when. I need substantial grill protection and it has the best out of all the bumpers I've seen. While I would prefer low profile it won't work in this case

Add a stinger?

I guess that would work if I hit it in the dead center of the Cherokee but that doesn't always happen. None of the prerunner/stinger bumpers offer headlight or front corner protection. Theres Trail Gear which is like $1400 or so, Warn that is butt ugly and ARB.

I could never spend that kind of coin on a bumper..

https://orfab.com/products/jeep-cherokee-xj-front-hd-bumper-with-hoop

Or
A dirt bound diy... or add this to any bumper for what you want from arb?
https://dirtboundoffroad.com/collections/builder-parts/products/brush-guard-hoop-kit-grille-guard

OR pay them about half for exactly what you want?
Compares to ARB I’d say? I’d prefer the winch tucked more personally

https://dirtboundoffroad.com/produc...kee-xj-bare-steel?_pos=5&_sid=d1b301feb&_ss=r

Last edited:
I've seen pretty much all the xj bumpers available fellas. The winch aspect is a secondary concern. Spending $900 on a bumper isn't the best for sure, but it beats having to replace the entire front clip, radiator, fans, battery tray and air box. The ARB was designed for protection against animals in the middle of nowhere, right? Well, if you live in MD in a rural area you know deer don't hesitate to jump out in front of you. I dont need a grille guard that a) leans forward but is all on the same plane, because that will just fold in. It's the same principle as a roll cage. Triangulation, which the ARB has in the two uprights in the center, is what gives it the strength. Tubes on the same plane don't have any more strength than the welds holding it to the plate (or bumper in this case) or b) have a tall center bar but half height side bars. Like I was saying in my last post, if you hit a deer dead center of the bumper it may work but clip it off by the headlight when you try and swerve around it and you have nothing there to protect you.
Don't take what I'm saying as me not being thankful for the responses I'm getting, but I've done my research and weighed pros and cons of all the bumpers I've seen and the ARB is the one I'm leaning towards, as long as it doesn't stick out a foot. That's the reason I started this thread, just to ask that question.

It sticks out pretty good man, and ya it’s expensive, must be better right?

The Trail Ready flavor is much more stout in my opinion.

The arb isn’t some godly deer crusher design like you seem to think. Some of the design is weak and flimsy (well documented). Have you ever seen one in person?

I’m in CO... deer def happen. Hitting a deer in a lifted vehicle isn’t fun regardless of bumper shit gets wrecked... a headlight would be the last thing I’d be worried about replacing so I don’t go for the huge arb designs.

Sounds like you are set on it, just get it

Last edited:
ARB for wild life impact protection.
some of those bars above look shit hot for rocks, but down under its rocks on the weekend and wildlife in between and always.

if you hit them hard enough it fvks the subframe. but if you nick them the arb will save the lights/ nose cone/ front fender.

10 years ago it was kangaroos now its kangaroos and deer. FFS.

and for the NRA types we still have guns, its just the semi autos are realy hard to get.

ARB for wild life impact protection.
some of those bars above look shit hot for rocks, but down under its rocks on the weekend and wildlife in between and always.

if you hit them hard enough it fvks the subframe. but if you nick them the arb will save the lights/ nose cone/ front fender.

if you hit a horse or a cow its not gonna make much differance.

10 years ago it was kangaroos now its kangaroos and deer. FFS.

and for the NRA types we still have guns, its just the semi autos are realy hard to get.

I haven't ever seen one in person. I was thinking of getting a jcr diy bumper and having the tubes bent up and welding them on, with the same center uprights the arb has for that triangulation. The problem is it has such high ground clearance that a deer would go right under it (I think. I havent seen one of these in person either). Also it looks like the arb tucks the winch up under the grill a bit and the others have the winch in front of the grill, making them stick out further than necessary for my purposes. Again, I could be wrong. I guess since nobody's posted the measurements that nobody runs them. What about you Rainman, can you get that measurement for me?

Just saw this, and I have a couple of measurements for you. My ARB extends out about 7.25 inches from the grill to the main part of the bumper. The license holder / winch housing in the center extends that to about 10.5 inches from the grill. It is about 9 inches from the bottom of the grill to the bottom of the bumper. I have a few pictures with a ruler held up to the bumper, but I don't know how to post any. If you PM me I'll be happy to email them to you. Excellent bumper I think, but I have to say it was on the Jeep when I bought it so I take no credit.

I also have one and can help with pics/measurements. It is Fing expensive but I like it a lot. I highly recommend the JCR Unibody Tie in Kit with steering stabilizer, if your down there replacing the bumper and putting a winch on you might as well beef things up. A big part of this bumper is that it is designed to work with airbags, that was important for me because I still drive on road a fair amount. After getting it and inspecting it I don't really see how it is any different than any other bumper but I'm not an expert, I did end up rear ending a Honda at low speed and was happy that the airbag did not deploy prematurely (which can happen with a bumper that is too stiff) the bumper was barely scratched

Back