• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why I won't be doing any wheeling this year.

EricsXJ

NAXJA Member #616
NAXJA Member
I started on my new upgrades a few weeks ago so I thought I'd post this here so you guys know I'm not just all talk. :) After all, I've been TALKING about doing some of this stuff for a couple years now. :yap: Now its time to get to the DOING!

I sort of committed myself into this project a couple months ago when I sold my rear bumper and tire carrier (all part of the master plan of course) but it was honestly hard to see that bumper go. It was one of the few existing AEV bumpers known to man. Some dude drove over to my house and got it. I hope he enjoys it as much as I did.

Here's what I was left with:

6864.jpg

So I needed to start making a new one.

6881.jpg

6892.jpg

6913.jpg

Mounts are out of 2x4, main body is 2x5, everything is 3/16".

Here's what I have in the interior after stripping the carpet back out and the side panels:

1602.jpg

Dropped the tank:

1611.jpg

And then made a hole:

1679.jpg

Cut some pieces for the rear frame plating.

1647.jpg

If it seems like I'm jumping around it's because I am. Having a big hole in the center of the jeep will make it easy working on some other stuff. (Not its not getting chopped and totally buggied out yet.) So the tank won't go back in just yet.

Back to the plating:

1673.jpg

1672.jpg

1686.jpg

That's it for now. I'll try to post an update each week unless I'm out of town. There are a few additional photos on my website for those who are interested.

Aww, and I thought you were going to have this done in time for Sierra Fest! Are you even allowed to take your first year as chapter president off wheeling? Looking good, knowing you I'm sure it's going to get done up right...

Aww, and I thought you were going to have this done in time for Sierra Fest! Are you even allowed to take your first year as chapter president off wheeling? Looking good, knowing you I'm sure it's going to get done up right...
I'm not gonna lie - because I know it won't get done in time for Sierra Fest. I'm still going though (kinda have to now ;) ) realistically I know it won't be done this year but sometime in early 2013. It has to because there is no way I'll miss the 30th in Moab. I'm actually slow at fabbing stuff, but like you said it will get done right. Plus it gives me time to acquire more funds. This aint going to be cheap.

I'm not gonna lie - because I know it won't get done in time for Sierra Fest. I'm still going though (kinda have to now ;) ) realistically I know it won't be done this year but sometime in early 2013. It has to because there is no way I'll miss the 30th in Moab. I'm actually slow at fabbing stuff, but like you said it will get done right. Plus it gives me time to acquire more funds. This aint going to be cheap.

Yea 30th in Moab! We will be there. :greensmok

Looks like a nice build to follow!

I want you to make me some of those trick rear bumper mounts. Those are bad ass.

do you have a list of mods you are planning on doing?

not necessarily in this order:

- finish raised gas tank
- tube fenders for the rear, somewhat matching the style of my front fenders
- tail light protection and LED's
- stretch rear 5"
- JK 44 rear axle, ARB, 5.38's, 35-spline shafts, truss
- rear 4-link and coilovers
- Atlas transfer case
- front axle (not 100% decided yet but it won't be a JK44 front)
- front 3-link (undecided if I'll try to keep my T&T bellypan or make a new one
- tires are 37" MT/R kevlars
- undecided on wheels but would like beadlocks
- rework exhaust
- hydro assist steering

I vote for a 609 front and a flat belly to go along with the atlas.

your t&t bellypan would make a great platform for a 3 link. you may get lucky & keep the 3rd link below the floor.

Going through the floor on the passenger side isn't that much of a concern to me, but we'll see. I'd like to see how yours turns out. The crossmember you made looks very simple yet strong and effective.

it put the upper arm completely above the floor line, but also got the lower arms mounted above the bottom of the "frame" rails so my belly pan is totally flat ecept for the drop pan to clear the corner of the atlas. i should have the pan done today & post some pix in my crap-tastic blog.

Back