• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan clutch re-hash......

The heater core has a constant recirculating supply and return thru the engine block and t-stat housing bypass so if your not seeing any heat you would have a different issue.

As I mentioned before, there seems to be wide range of how any fan clutch acts. I see differences in the stock clutches right out of the box, some engage harder (louder) and pull more air.
With the ZJ clutch, I ran it for six months, starting in the summer and removing it in that winter. It worked great for that summer's wheeling trips.
With a 425 weekly commuter mileage, driven at night when the traffic was light, I was able to track fuel usage before and after the ZJ clutch, there was a drop in mileage and, like Ehall, on very cold winter morning, it took forever to warm up.
And yes, the thermostat was a 195 degree.
Once the stock clutch was reinstalled, it warmed up normally . Having the fan partially engaged all the time provided too much cooling air when the engine was cold
YMMV

As i said my NAPA ZJ clutch fan did nothing at all for Summer cooling.
These 2000/2000 XJ's just run hot probably for EPA reasons.
Forget using AC in hot Summer stop 'n go driving.

This Spring gonna go back to a stock clutch fan and rely on my efan over ride timer as i had to do with the ZJ clutch fan.
Maybe i'll even add a thermostat to automatically turn on the efan.
We'll see.

Yes, I still don't get any of the noise that everyone talks about but it definitely dropped the coolant temps by about 5*. My engine now runs about 205*.

That would definitely apply to my Jeep, I run braided hoses on everything. The transmission and cooler, the power steering and cooler, and all my fuel lines, and now my pre-oiler pump.

Do you have an sort of writeup you did on converting the tranny and PS lines to braided?

Yes, I still don't get any of the noise that everyone talks about but it definitely dropped the coolant temps by about 5*. My engine now runs about 205*.
Do you have the clearance issue between the fan and radiator with the "non HD" unit?

Back