• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making set up bearings?

Yes, unless you see signs of unusual wear.

Well the carrier and pinion races are in great shape, but i litetally just found this while pulling the carrier apart:

I take it i need a new carrier now, am i wrong?
325749a2e6a8892827e2bbfedcf39000.jpg
722d11d5e5e9ba15645651b651a86522.jpg
cd9c4a99a0f909bd7bd7cd795988fe15.jpg
bcb7fa168edb54d656a53108d3540169.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

You do if you care about your ride, looks like a great time to up-grade!

Yes im batsh*t crazy keeping this thing nice.

Maybe a trutrac would be good with the np242/arb in the back.
Im on 35s and not so sure i want a locked 30.

Whats the best way to ensure the housing isnt bent?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If this for a D30 a Truetrac would be great, otherwise you would be stuck with lunch-box lockers. A cheap laser level from HF would definitely get the job done!

my understanding is if you have a limited slip in one end and a locker in the other, is that the locker should go in front, and limited slip in the rear. A limited slip on the front can give sketchy steering if in front. Anyway that is what I read in a 4wd book.

I got a true trac in rear, ARB in front.

I thought it was auto lockers drove sketchy in the front. limited slip shouldnt be too much different than stock other than diverting a little more torque to the slipping wheel instead of almost all.

I may just keep it open, Idk, never planned on this weirdness going on. I wish I knew why the diff did this.

Probably a little oiling problem combined with a lot of wheel spinning!

Any kind of lunchbox locker would defeat the purpose of a 242. There are a couple major "quirks" that are inherent to them. Although I've had my No-slip for 20yrs I thought about changing it for the same amount of years!

Probably a little oiling problem combined with a lot of wheel spinning!

what did you have in mind?
low oil or bad oil slinger??
What I know: roll pin was spit out allowing the center pin to bounce off the pinion. Upon pulling the diff that chewed up washer was found, the other washer is fine.

ran standard fluid capacity with a solid cover. Ive been scratching my noggin trying to figure this out, but hey once again Ill be learning something new to fix it.

I thought it was auto lockers drove sketchy in the front. limited slip shouldnt be too much different than stock other than diverting a little more torque to the slipping wheel instead of almost all.

I may just keep it open, Idk, never planned on this weirdness going on. I wish I knew why the diff did this.

it is.....limited slip in front is fine....some even come stock that way....

Lockers in front can give sketchy steering

To my knowledge xj only came with rear LSD option. The front was always open.
Also as a side note (I personally think a front LSD would be invisible in front for drivability) but the breakaway torque is normally 90 ftlbs or so on an LSD correct? That could cause more "feel" than a lunchbox as they require basically nothing to differentiate verses the 90ish ft lbs of an lsd...
Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To my knowledge xj only came with rear LSD option. The front was always open.
Also as a side note (I personally think a front LSD would be invisible in front for drivability) but the breakaway torque is normally 90 ftlbs or so on an LSD correct? That could cause more "feel" than a lunchbox as they require basically nothing to differentiate verses the 90ish ft lbs of an lsd...
Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I didn't mean some cherokees came stock that way.....

And a LSD does it's job smoothly....a locker tends to be more harsh in doing it's job.....

Back