• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering stabilizer question

cmahaff

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I smooshed my old pin trying to remove it from where it attaches to the drag link.
It's an old man emu

The original setup was the cotter pin and crown nut. It took a while but finally ARB found and part number for me and 4 Wheel parts was able to order it for me. The new part was not the crown nut design.

And I really wish I had measured the taper before I started to install it.
Now I cannot get it to sit flush.
I'll attach a photo to see what y'all think.

It probably needs to fit flush huh

2b9d00d82d9bfb943ebdaf10718a0bb1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If your confident that the taper was correct, then how far it seats doesn't matter.

If your confident that the taper was correct, then how far it seats doesn't matter.
Yea, I mean the pin kit I ordered came from OME. So it should be correct. It just wasnt the same one I had in there before. Hardware wise. I didn't check the taper 😒

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

To some extent, if it seats all the way, then the taper is not fully seated. So, some amount of gap is correct.

It's a steering stabalizer. I wouldnt worry about it one way or the other.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's a steering stabalizer. I wouldnt worry about it one way or the other.

I disagree. It brings up the argument of if the steering stabilizer effectively controls Death Wobble, or is a mask. According to Kevin's Offroad, a bit of play in the steering stabilizer can cause DW. I have run without a steering stabilizer and no DW. Then I had my XJ aligned and had DW. I attached a Steering Stabilizer and still had DW. A lot of issues that were corrected.
I still had some 'pre-DW'. I am running Cross over steering. I went with a Ruff Stuff steering stabilizer set up, that attaches to the diff cover. Also, an EMU steering stabilizer for a WJ. Works good. I am on 32's.

I'll agree to disagree.

Fair enough. I've had mixed results, as stated above. I know others who run without a steering stabilizer. I think the initial intent of it was for bump steering on the original Y link setup.

Fair enough. I've had mixed results, as stated above. I know others who run without a steering stabilizer. I think the initial intent of it was for bump steering on the original Y link setup.

It has nothing to do with bump steer and a steering stabilizer is not required with a properly set-up steering.

Back