• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A-Pillar Grab Handles

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
After reading in another thread that I’m likely damaging steering column components by repeatedly lifting my carcass into my Jeep by the steering wheel, I decided to install some grab handles on the a-pillars. After much searching on line and mulling the options I wound up buying the set shown in the images below. Austin Hardware and Supply had the best price on them that I could find.

My plan initially was to drill through the plastic trim and secure the handles to the pillars with spacers. But when I realized how substantial the gap actually is between the trim and the steel, I decided against that plan because I didn’t want the spacers to act as levers twisting against the pillar every time weight is applied, and likely ripping out the rivnuts eventually. So I decided instead to cut through the trim and secure the handles directly to the steel for maximum structural integrity. Making it look good was a lot of work, but I’m pleased with the result and figured I’d show it off. If anyone wants a more detailed write up I’ll be glad to post one, but I think the pictures pretty much tell the tale.

0fb3855e72b05c0992f76c0101f38e26.jpg

af97d5575a741e2802856c9cf1255984.jpg

4b56b2206d18a3c545371a8c99667311.jpg

2dff0d2cd2706967010d27b0af4cac8f.jpg

904422c0520721380f77a8dbb0f9fab4.jpg

Nice job.

That looks like a worthwhile upgrade

Thanks. Maybe I’ll be able to get my GF to wheel with me now that she’ll be able to get in gracefully. Nah. Who am I kidding?

Looks great....my only concern would be the amount of leverage you put on it with the fasteners being inline and it having such a narrow mounting base....

Yup. That’s them. I see that they’re now out of stock. I saw them online at another place too, but I don’t remember the web site.

Last edited:
my only concern would be the amount of leverage you put on it with the fasteners being inline and it having such a narrow mounting base....

They feel fairly solid, but I’ll avoid hanging on them like play yard monkey bars just the same. Time will tell.

The moubts are made with rivnuts? Never heard of em... Is it as it sounds, drill a hole and install like a rivet but there is actually threads inside the rivets?

The moubts are made with rivnuts? Never heard of em... Is it as it sounds, drill a hole and install like a rivet but there is actually threads inside the rivets?

Yes.
Rivnuts are like the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Special tool:

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-1442-Setter/dp/B003TODXQW

That is the one I own. Many brands sure some are cheaper.
And use these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3Y0ZH...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

All sorts of options of these too.

The mounts just have holes to put bolts through. The rivnuts mount inside the pillars and provide threads accept the bolts. (1/4-20 in this case.) Rivnuts can be installed without the special tool, just using a couple of wrenches, though I’m sure the tool would make it easier. There are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to install rivnuts without the tool.

Back