• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weld, no start

Run&Gun

NAXJA Forum User
Building a front bumper for 98 4.0 XJ. Braced everything in place and tacked brackets to main tube. Remembered I forgot to unhook battery after 4 quick tacks. Ground clamp was directly on bracket being MIG welded. Engine will not turn over now. 12.6 volts on new battery. Dash lights come on, fuel pump runs, head lights are bright, no dimming when key turns. No click, nothing. Jump posts on starter and it spins quick, but does not engage. Checked all heavy fuses under hood (30, 40, and 50 amp). Haven't checked any fuses in cab yet. Hoping bonehead mistake didn't damage computer...:doh:

I always disconnect my battery before welding, but I don't think I have ever seen an exhaust shop bother to do that. I would be inclined to think this is a coincidental situation.

Let us know what you find.

Might check your neutral safety switch if it is an automatic? Then regular starter relay diagnostics from there.

I never disconnect the battery before welding, and I've welded extensively on front bumpers, rear bumpers, roof racks, rocker skids, front and rear axles, seat mounts, floor pan, electrode +, electrode - etc on my 2000 xj and never had any electrical problems that couldn't be explained by corrosion, dirt, or broken switches.

Check starter relay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Check starter relay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yea. Pull the starter relay out and jump the 2 large sockets (in the PDM) together to verify the starter and solenoid (mounted on the starter) are operating properly. If they are then continue trouble shooting from there backwards.

You say it spins but does not engage. That could have several meanings. Do you mean the starter spins, but the motor does not rotate? If so the Bendix is just sticking... rap the starter with a hammer.

If the engine rotates but it does not attempt to fire, that is a different matter. In that case, do the standard troubleshooting steps

1) check if there is spark
2) check if there is fuel (pressure at the rail, injector pulses)

Back