• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chevy One Ton Steering info

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Since I just spent an hour trying to pin down the info, thought I'd share:

From Knuckle to Knuckle:
Moog ES2233L : Left side
Moog ES2234R : Right side

Drag link, at pitman arm
ES2027L

Drag link, at tie rod (connects to ES2233L)
ES2026R

All four parts are common to the
1981 Chevrolet K10 (half ton, 4wd) pickup truck, though each can be found in a variety of others.

At Rockauto.com they totaled ~100 without tax or shipping. Depending how much DOM tubing & adapters can be had for in your area and how much you are able / willling to fab, this is much cheaper than buying a kit.

They are threaded 7/8" - 18TPR (threads per inch), which you can either bore & tap DOM for or use a weld-in bung for.

Reaming of the knuckles & pitman arm to Chevy taper is required. Chevy Taper is 1.5 inches per foot. On the wide side, the hole should have a 0.7188" diameter.

Amongst others, Synergy Suspension sells a reamer for ~$100 through Quadratec here

With the reamer, TREs, tubing & adapters this should be around a $250 - $300 DIY project, depending on your steel prices. Note that when you buy a kit, be it from Ruffstuff or JCR, you still have to source your own reamer and typically spend $225+ for the other parts. You can have it cheap, fast & right - pick 2.

You can run them over or under the knuckle. Best results are probably over the knuckle, both for protection & drag link angle. This setup will require other mods to clear the stock D30 parts.

The parts go together for an "inverted T" steering setup. It is called different things in different places on the internet, but the gist of it is that you have one tie rod from knuckle to knuckle & a drag link that connects the tie rod to the pitman arm.

Last edited:
i'll add to this that if you purchase your TREs at autozone you can get them with a lifetime warranty.

Called Goodson tool co. They say they have a reamer that fits the bill, just isn't in their online catalog.
Part number TR-216-2. $106.

I can't even find one on their site. Went to a local machine shop, they didn't even have the thing. A couple others in town but this is a tough tool to find.

With the reamer, TREs, tubing & adapters this should be around a $250 - $300 DIY project.

If you can't or don't want to make your own, for $289 you can order draglink and tierod with Chevy 1 ton TRE's from Foothill Offroad. They use a 60* TRE on the drag link where it attaches to the pitman arm. .25 inch wall DOM IIRC. Just give them you meassurements. I'm running it on my XJ.

IMG_8218.jpg

trackbar3.jpg

From Knuckle to Knuckle:
Moog ES2233L : Left side
Moog ES2234R : Right side

Drag link, at pitman arm
ES2027L

Drag link, at tie rod (connects to ES2233L)
ES2026R

All four parts are common to the
1981 Chevrolet K10 (half ton, 4wd) pickup truck, though each can be found in a variety of others.

At Rockauto.com they totaled ~100 without tax or shipping. Depending how much DOM tubing & adapters can be had for in your area and how much you are able / willling to fab, this is much cheaper than buying a kit.

They are threaded 7/8" - 18TPR (threads per inch), which you can either bore & tap DOM for or use a weld-in bung for.

Reaming of the knuckles & pitman arm to Chevy taper is required. Chevy Taper is 1.5 inches per foot. On the wide side, the hole should have a 0.7188" diameter.

Amongst others, Synergy Suspension sells a reamer for ~$100 through Quadratec here

With the reamer, TREs, tubing & adapters this should be around a $250 - $300 DIY project, depending on your steel prices. Note that when you buy a kit, be it from Ruffstuff or JCR, you still have to source your own reamer and typically spend $225+ for the other parts. You can have it cheap, fast & right - pick 2.

You can run them over or under the knuckle. Best results are probably over the knuckle, both for protection & drag link angle. This setup will require other mods to clear the stock D30 parts.

The parts go together for an "inverted T" steering setup. It is called different things in different places on the internet, but the gist of it is that you have one tie rod from knuckle to knuckle & a drag link that connects the tie rod to the pitman arm.

You didn't know this?Its been posted thousands of times!
Its on most of the manufacturers sites also.
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TREKT&Category_Code=S6
As far as the reamer,the prices are definately going up.I got mine from Goodsons about 10yrs ago for $45!!!

Last edited:
If you can't or don't want to make your own, for $289 you can order draglink and tierod with Chevy 1 ton TRE's from Foothill Offroad. They use a 60* TRE on the drag link where it attaches to the pitman arm. .25 inch wall DOM IIRC. Just give them you meassurements. I'm running it on my XJ.

IMG_8218.jpg

trackbar3.jpg
Is that a Rubicon front D44 and it looks like you mounted the axle end of your track bar to the steering stabilizer mount?......how's that working out as far as angles and bump steer?....I like that.

Hans

Is that a Rubicon front D44 and it looks like you mounted the axle end of your track bar to the steering stabilizer mount?......how's that working out as far as angles and bump steer?....I like that.

Hans

Looks like a "true" 44 due to the high steer on the Knuckles, cant do that on a rubbi 44. Looks like it has a rubicon express truss/ coil mount kit, with a over the axle track bar mount also added.

What is done with the swaybar when over axle tierod is used?

I have a dana 30 high pinion. I have 5inch of lift, and want to see what is needed to change to a high mount tierod.

do I need a different trackbar mount, do I need to move or remove my swaybar? other considerations?

What is done with the swaybar when over axle tierod is used?

I have a dana 30 high pinion. I have 5inch of lift, and want to see what is needed to change to a high mount tierod.

do I need a different trackbar mount, do I need to move or remove my swaybar? other considerations?

You will need to relocate the swaybar endlink mounts when you move your steering OTK.

Yes, to maintain correct geometry, the trackbar mount should be raised on the axle to match the same operating plane as the draglink, to eliminate bumpsteer. I run a JKS unit, but SFR makes a good setup.

My build thread might give you some ideas.

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=5

When I first built this Jeep, I ran Currie steering and moved the driver side TRE OTK, so that the tierod would operate on a higher plane than stock and minimize rock impact, but eventually moved the passenger side up with a customer TRE setup.

The current configuration is running WJ knuckles and moved all steering OTK, which is amazing.

Currie steering with pass side OTK

100_1367.jpg

Modified Currie steering OTK on both sides
100_2974.jpg

WJ Knuckles with OTK Steering
IMG_9695.jpg

Front%20end%20refresh%20complete_zpsx9cet7ev.jpg

I also added an Antirock swaybar setup and reworked the axle mounts for the endlinks and have run with this setup for the past 10+yrs with no issues.

Other considerations.....running a heavy duty diff cover and a larger diameter tie rod in an OTK configuration can cause interference it full steering lock. Offset TRE like the Teraflex units that I run will help combat this issue, but may create a TRE to wheel interference if you run 15" wheels. Ruffstuff sells a similar offset TRE.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/tj-tie-rod-end-offset-stock-taper-7-8-x-18-right-hand-thread

GM 1/2 ton steering (why is this called "one ton"?) TREs are not a requirement for OTK steering, nor is reverse tapering your knuckle.

There are several companies who make a weld-in tapered inserts that allow you to simply drill out the tapered hole and slip in their insert, then weld the lip in place- Ive run these for a decade with no issues. You can then run a stronger TRE which has the factory Jeep taper, or the option of "1 ton" taper.

http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm

One could also use TRE's from Rare Parts, which allows you customize your TRE configuration. http://www.fabseries.com/

Last edited:
Back