• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anza Borrego Coyote canyon this Friday

01erionracing

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking to wheel at the Coyote canyon this Friday and also check my land anchor to confirm if it needs re-configured. Let me know if you want to join. If not I am going to wheel solo.

I bet there'll be some high flows in the canyon... be careful.

Curt

I bet there'll be some high flows in the canyon... be careful.

Curt
Thanks Xtreme XJ

Original_MudButt
Yes that is a homebrew Pull-Pal. We tested last Sat on the Cleghorn run and it didn't cut down to the ground so I am going to cut the blade it and re-weld in different angle but before that I want to test on the soft dirt and sand to see how it works.

Yeah, I got that. I'm not familiar with the park, I was hoping for some coordinates so I can check it out.

How about a ballpark of where it is? NW corner of park, etc.

Oh man, there's some really good rockcrawling on the upper end of the canyon (the Anza side) up Horse Canyon. If you aren't familiar with the canyon, you'll never find it because they removed the sign. Shoot, I wish I could join you guys but, my truck (I always wheel with you guys in my Toyota p/u) is one legged right know (broke the rear Lock-Rite) and you REALLY need a locker for Horse Canyon......damn!--------Hans

Oh man, there's some really good rockcrawling on the upper end of the canyon (the Anza side) up Horse Canyon. If you aren't familiar with the canyon, you'll never find it because they removed the sign. Shoot, I wish I could join you guys but, my truck (I always wheel with you guys in my Toyota p/u) is one legged right know (broke the rear Lock-Rite) and you REALLY need a locker for Horse Canyon......damn!--------Hans
Thanks for the info on the Horse canyon. This is my 1st time there so basically just check it out the place and the homebrew land anchor also my XJ still stock form with open/open. I am working on the front and rear Aussie hopefully can get them in the near future.

John... at one time you use to be able to go from Borrego Spr. to Anza through Coyote Cyn.(as De Anza did a few centuries ago) there were 3 oases & you drove through the stream bed... a narrow tight tunnel through the trees in the stream bed... VERY COOL then they closed the "middle willows" the Hemet JEEP Club made a bypass around the middle willows & dead ended the trail just down the canyon from the "upper willows".
You can enter from the top (Anza) going down into the canyon to a rock cabin, but you have to return to Anza... OR you can enter from the Borrego side... and also return that way... no longer can you make a full pass through the canyon.

Sounds like the upper end has gotten allot worse... I made the trip in 90 ? in a stock F-250 with a shell... this was always a fun trip...

Curt

Damn....I'll be heading to Arizona by the time you get out here.
I live in Borrego Springs. It would be my guess that you might not be able to drive up the river now. The state park folks will mark the trail if it is closed.

Thanks for the info on the Horse canyon. This is my 1st time there so basically just check it out the place and the homebrew land anchor also my XJ still stock form with open/open. I am working on the front and rear Aussie hopefully can get them in the near future.
The "road" from Anza into and out of Coyote (main section) used to be pretty rough but, the last time I was there they graded it with a dozer so, that an AWD minivan could traverse it......it was pretty disappointing but, the little known Horse Canyon (you have to go pretty deep into the canyon to find the fun stuff.....lots of big rocks and tight squeezes :D) is still a blast and like Xtreme XJ mentioned, Coyote used to be open all the way through and it was really cool, especially the Middle Willows......like going through a green tunnel. Sigh.....I miss that :( Alder Canyon (upper end) is good for camping and I almost always see the same heard of wild horses back there. The lower part (Borrego Springs side) has some nice camping at Sheep Canyon with some cool hikes to some springs and palm tree stands up the canyon. Damn.....I'm starting to talk myself into going!---------Hans

Last edited:
I have tested out the land anchor and it worked 1 time out of many tries so it definately the blade needs different angle. We went to I think rattlesnake canyon first and the trail so narrow and big rocks. My friend truck could not make that far so we came out and headed to Coyote canyon. We ended at the 3rd water xing and affraid that water too deep and muddy, we decided to try again next time.

PO20101225_0005.jpg

PO20101225_0032.jpg

PO20101225_0031.jpg

PO20101225_0011.jpg

PO20101225_0014.jpg

Back