• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear upper shock bolt size?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search on two forums and I'm getting a variety of sizes:

m8 x 1.5
m8 x 1.25
7/16 x 1.5
5/16 x 18

I already bought m8x1.25 and they do not screw in. So what's the actual size of those upper rear bolts?

2001 xj sport

Your probably going to have a hard time getting that answer. I'm willing to bet that 98% of the people here ended up with them breaking off in the crossmember.

Honestly I wouldn't put much faith in the nuts staying welded to the crossmember when you start tightening them back in. They are only tacked in a few spots. Most people end up just knocking them out with a hammer and punch. I just fished the new bolts thru from the top with a few bread ties twisted together to make them about 6-8" long. Then you can get a wrench on the heads to hold them fairly easy when you start to tighten them back up.

Mine didn't break. :) I'm one of those 2% lol. I need longer ones but i don't have access to tools to remove one of the bolts to compare with at the hardware store. I read up about two weeks ago that they were m8x1.25 so I tried those back then but they would not go in. I want to give it another try now but need to know what thread size they are.

that's a pretty wacky size..

I drilled mine straight through and used 5/16" grade 8 nuts behind them, but they were metric originally.

Depending on the year of your jeep, you may be able to knock them out like wheeling365 said. I couldn't knock mine out on my 96 because each nut had about a 1/2" long well-done bead on each side, instead of a couple of tack welds.

correct.

It's actually .3125 but no one writes down the ten thou, same as 3/16 plate is sold as .188".

I'd like to bump this post.

As many of you know I am trying to put together a list of bolts to buy to replace all the hardware when installing my lift and replacing the shocks.

Does my 2001 XJ suspension components take different bolt sizes than the older XJ models?

Not as far as I know.

You're in Mass, so your rear shock bolts are almost certainly going to break off, and you should plan on replacing them.

Mine broke off in my 2000 XJ. I tried to drill them out. I remember being successful on both of my '98's. Them I tried the JKS bar pin eliminator. I did like that I would have to unbolt it, if I were to replace the shocks. So, I went with these:
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/bar-pin-eliminator-shock-relocation-brackets-rear.html
I did drop bolt from the top inside. Not fun, but did get it done. I did latter switch shocks to Ranco RS900s. It was a lot easier just unbolting one bolt.

Mine broke off in my 2000 XJ. I tried to drill them out. I remember being successful on both of my '98's. Them I tried the JKS bar pin eliminator. I did like that I would have to unbolt it, if I were to replace the shocks. So, I went with these:
https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/bar-pin-eliminator-shock-relocation-brackets-rear.html
I did drop bolt from the top inside. Not fun, but did get it done. I did latter switch shocks to Ranco RS900s. It was a lot easier just unbolting one bolt.

I bought bar pin eliminators for both front and rear shocks. I didn't use JKS though. They are 2x more expensive then the competitors BPE's.

I bought flag nut kits for babs and Elmer. They were 5/16 x18 I believe.

Back