• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing a disconnect D30 with a non-disconnect

I'm almost done swapping in a non-disconnect D30 (out of a 94, I think) to replace my stock disconnect axle (1990). What should I do with the vaccuum lines? There's a group of lines that run down the driver's side UCA, one yellow line, one green, and one black I think. Can I just cut them off higher up on the Jeep and plug them?

Mambeu said:
I'm almost done swapping in a non-disconnect D30 (out of a 94, I think) to replace my stock disconnect axle (1990). What should I do with the vaccuum lines? There's a group of lines that run down the driver's side UCA, one yellow line, one green, and one black I think. Can I just cut them off higher up on the Jeep and plug them?

that is what i would do, course i don't know much about the system, but that should work just fine

shortxjdoug said:
that is what i would do, course i don't know much about the system, but that should work just fine
That's what I thought too, but then I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on it. Lots of people put non-disco shafts in a disco axle, but it seems like few people go to the trouble of replacing the entire axle like I'm doing.

Mambeu said:
That's what I thought too, but then I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on it. Lots of people put non-disco shafts in a disco axle, but it seems like few people go to the trouble of replacing the entire axle like I'm doing.

i almost did what you are doing now when i had my 87, but i sold it before i got a chance to do the swap. IMO the non disco axletube is a lot stronger and sice the UCA mount is welded to the axle instead of being a part of the disconnect unit, should it break its easy to just weld a new mount on. on my 87 the disconnect collar was just permanently shimmed and always connected, i don't even know if the vac lines were hooked up at all

You'll lose the function of the 4X4 light in the cab. It's activated when the vacuum lines engage the outer shaft for four-wheel drive. If anybody knows of a way to solve this problem I would like to hear it. I'm up against the same problem when I install my HD Warn front hubs and non-disconnect axle. Good Luck.

Woody

Mambeu said:
Can I unplug the vaccuum lines (and plug the holes) from somewhere higher up in the Jeep, or is cutting and plugging the lines just as good?

I replaced my entire diso axle with a non-disco a few months ago as you are now. I traced the lines up the passenger side of the firewall to their point of origin under the pressure bottle shelf. I removed the enire set of lines and capped the single supply line coming off of the vacuum harness. No problems with it at all.

You will lose the indicator light, but if you don't know that the tcase stick is up, well shame on you.....

Again, remember that I am the only operator of the Jeep and it is NOT my DD, so I'm the only one I have to worry about, or kill if it gets screwed up.

Enjoy

non-stick said:
I traced the lines up the passenger side of the firewall to their point of origin under the pressure bottle shelf. I removed the enire set of lines and capped the single supply line coming off of the vacuum harness. No problems with it at all.
Thanks; I'll do that tomorrow.

non-stick said:
You will lose the indicator light, but if you don't know that the tcase stick is up, well shame on you.....
My transfer case linkage isn't connected right now, but I've driven my Jeep enough to know when it's in four wheel drive. :D

Yah, the indicator light just tells you when the disco is engaged. It's a moot point with a non disco axle.

what happens if ur disco axle engages but there is no light thats my prob

Here's what I did when I swapped axles.
The Red vacuum line goes to the t-case, and the green one(I think) went up to the disco switch. I ran the line that went to the CAD motor right up to the vacuum switch for the light.
At first I had just capped them, but I ofund that I really liked the part time light after I left it in part time on the pavement for a bit :)

ya i drove min in 4hi on the pavement for about 20 ft and i couldnt tell it was engaged cuz it was so smooth

Back