• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

putting non disconnect shaft in axle with disconnect

linkednlocked

NAXJA Forum User
hey ive got an xj and im in the middle of putting a non disconnest shaft into a axle with a disconnect. If anyone else has tried this im sure youve ran into the same problem im having and that is that the disconect seal is much bigger than the non disco shaft. i heard that there is a seal from the warn hub conversion kit that works, is this true and if so which one? does anyone know what i can do for a seal?

any help would be appreciated

When I converted my disco axle over to a non-disco shaft, I ground a couple mm out the inside of the pass-side tube (next to the diff bearing) to accept the seal that the later model non-disco axles use.

Supposedly there is a 'special' seal, with the correct outer/inner diameter for the disco tube and the non-disco shaft. Randy's Ring & Pinion maybe???

The Warn seal won't work... the Warn alloy shaft is not the same diameter at the seal surface as a stock shaft (per phone conversation with a tech at Warn said to me back when I was looking into it)

you can do 2 things here.
1: get the kit from Randy's and do it right.

2: install your new seal in the location of the old larger seal that is out-board of the disconnect housing.

the problem with #2 is that the shafts dont have a machined-smooth surface in the middle of the shaft for a seal in that location. so if you use an old used shaft like i did your seal will eventually fail and start leaking. this is how i set it up in my trail rig last year so long-term reliability isnt very high on my list.

decide what will be easiest for you.

sidriptide said:
you can do 2 things here.
1: get the kit from Randy's and do it right.

2: install your new seal in the location of the old larger seal that is out-board of the disconnect housing.

the problem with #2 is that the shafts dont have a machined-smooth surface in the middle of the shaft for a seal in that location. so if you use an old used shaft like i did your seal will eventually fail and start leaking. this is how i set it up in my trail rig last year so long-term reliability isnt very high on my list.

decide what will be easiest for you.
What kit from randys? I would really like that if there is a kit...

The kit is just a seal that fits inside the axle tube up beside the passenger side diff bearing... (where the non-disco seal and machined surface on the 1-pc axle is) and a block off plate so you can remove the disconnect motor - which you don't have to.

hey guys thanks for all of your help. I ended up going to a place called hithech seals (in Calgary) and brought them the new non disco shaft and the old disconnect seal and they measured the shaft and the outside of the old seal and sent me on my way with a new seal

Back