• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window Regulators

cguthrie

NAXJA Forum User
What is up with these crappy window regulators? We've only had the jeep for like 4 months and the first week one of them went out and now my wife told me that the other one went out too. Has anyone replaced these themselves? The dealership wants $275 for the part and to replace it. The part is only $115.

Chris

One of the four on my '88 works right. The others have various issues. I'd fix them but I'm saving my money for a J10 that I absolutely must have ;) My advice?

There's a guy here who will come to your house and do it for about 175 a window, sounds better than an all day or multiday affair at the stealership and it's cheaper. Any body shop or general mech. shop can do this work. No need to pay 80 bucks an hour to the dealer for the same job. Maybe a reman part would save a few bucks too. http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDet...A1C&MfrPartNumber=42600&PartType=1326&PTSet=A or maybe try an after market that will save you about 10 bucks
http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/n...ch_string=Window+Lift+Motor&org_string=window

Small difference in price for the part, just decide if you want the Mopar for the additional cash.

Drill out the rivets and replace with bolts. Much easier and more friendly to fix in the future. Window regs. are horrible parts no matter what kind of car or truck they are in. None of them are very good. Just the price you pay for not having to roll the window down yourself.

Shop around for parts and for installation before you take it to the stealership. The job is doable at home but it's a tough one.

Good luck

since you are "OUTCONUS" right now (thats out of the continental united states, for you non-military types) i would have her shop it around to a few places.. its easily done by any garage who can handle more than oil changes... what about a glass shop?? we have companies here who will come to where your truck is parked and do a windshield.. maybe they can do a motor replacement too?? just a thought.... have her break the glass and call one of them and them maybe you can even get your insurance to cover it??? probably pushing your luck doing it that way though.... cal around and get a better labor rate.... good luck
mike

I was there when the first one went out and i looked at it but i couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then i called the dealership and they told me that they go out a lot and the said the regulator was just bad. See the thing is that my wife is not very handy around cars and i would rather have someplace that i could get a warranty do the work for us. Although the warranty for mopar parts like that is only 12 months/ 12,000 miles. Well i'll have her look around but i would rather have a dealership do it for her. I think that these window regulators must be a bad design though.

Chris

well chris.. it seems youve had shit luck with that 97 since you got it.. and i honestly havent heard many problems with the newer XJs... i have 4 new window regulators in the cellar to put on my 87 since it has 3 bad ones.... good luck on the window issue and i hope things start going right for you with that rig soon...
mike

I had 2 replaced on my 86. My glass guy told me that the cheap DIY tinting that the PO did was to blame, seems that the DIY stuff is thicker and that some of the sticky stuff gets on the felts putting extra stress on the regulators. He might just be full of BS though... but hey he works cheap when paid in cash ;)
Mike B.

I would double-check the price on that part. I seem to remember paying about $35 for a driver's window regulator. I get a small discount, maybe 15$ or so (varies a bit depending on the part), but even between full list price and possible (probable?) faulty memory, I am absolutely certain it wasn't anywhere near $115 for the simple reason that I wouldn't have paid that much. For that I could get an entire door with functional power window already installed.

yeah i was sort of thinking that too. i thought i only paid like $55 for the other one so i'm gonna call that dealership myself and talk to them. But thanks for reminding me though.

Chris

Back