• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FYI - Speedo Doesnt Work

1988 Cherokoo

NAXJA Forum User
I got a 88 XJ.

While I was driving the speedo stopped working.

History - I recently was doing work on the dash. Unscrewing and rescrewing in the dash speedo, rev box, fuel guage. I forget what its called, cluster maybe. It is a tight fit if you dont know how to disengage the 2 plug wires and speedo cable. So I stretched the speedo cable and busted it. I broke off the tab on the end of the spinning cable on divider of the long one to transmission.

I was doing that because I broke the clear plastic cover and had to replace with junk yard unit. Other one was routing power battery wire through firewall at hood latch wire & grommet. Wire went in behind the speedo rev box.

1988 XJ has a spinning cable style from tab on the back of the speedo. Goes to a divider about a foot away with 2 wires coming off one end. Then
from the Divider it goes through firewall down engine to the transmission. There is a retaining bolt bolted on bottom of firewall, near the drivers side control arm.

To get the spinning cable off speedo cluster, just press the sides of the plastic plug and pull out GENTLY. DO NOT SPIN IT!!!! It will pop out. Push it back and down to unbolt it. Down towards brake and gas pedal. This will get you the little 1 foot spinning cable section. The black 1 inch by 1 inch black divider has 2 wires plugged in that does not come out. There is another bolt on the back goes to transmission.

These spinning cable things have little plastic sticks that plug in to the other end. These are very small and fragile. You have to be careful not to break them like I did. You also have to be careful when installing them to be sure they go in to the reciever. If not nothing your speedo wont work.

The spinning cable to transmission does come out of firewall easy.

1992 XJ has a electic speedo.

Only problem now is the needle is bouncy up to about 50km per hour and stable as can be above 60kmh. It never was before that bouncy before.
My bud says put in a little lube or oil on back of speedo and or cable part.
I am just going to leave it the way it is.

Might be broke off in the transfer case tail housing, thats how mine initially started an that was the problem.

Back