• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

creaking/popping noise when turning

Well the noise is gone after I did a number of various things. I replaced both u-joints up front,torqued the steering box bolts back up to spec, replaced rod ends and tightened up all jam nuts on the long arms and viola! all that work for an axle and steering thats not even gonna be under it in a couple months! o well, anyone that has this issue try the steering box first, mine was pretty loose.

I have a similar popping noise just as I start to make a slow RIGHT turn. it is just one pop and then no other noise. Also, I can cycle the steering back and forth, and the popping does not occur everytime. helps when I am driving in a neighborhood and right before I turn into a driveway. Any ideas?

JB Flex said:
I have a similar popping noise just as I start to make a slow RIGHT turn. it is just one pop and then no other noise. Also, I can cycle the steering back and forth, and the popping does not occur everytime. helps when I am driving in a neighborhood and right before I turn into a driveway. Any ideas?

Check your track arm bracket bolts.....when mine loosen up it happens every time.

Eric

JB flex its your wheel unit bearing thats exactly what mine was doing , it took me 3 monthes to track it down but thats what it was

Mine has been popping whenever I turn. Pops going left/right then will pop back when I turn back. I think I have narrowed it down to the hd tracbar/hd mount. tightened the mount as much as I could and it still does it. If I hold it while the wheel is turned I can feel it pop, very little movement in the bracketvisually though.

I've had this happening for a while. I'm about to replace my steering box. My mechanic traced it back and it looks like thats where its coming from.

well mine did the pop with a brand new bearing and i bought 3 of them just to make sure and yep it was the wheel bearing , so i went a bought a skf bearing and it hasent made a peep ever scince

I read somewere that if your spider gears are bad than they pop when turning. I have the same problems and have been troubleshooting the same places.

pecsxj said:
I read somewere that if your spider gears are bad than they pop when turning. I have the same problems and have been troubleshooting the same places.
I believe you are thinking of the fact that if the axle u-joints are bad, they pop when turning. Happened when I had to replace mine.

True, spider gears can pop if they are bad, but this means that they have grenaded and are missing teeth, and the pop is the gears slipping over teeth, then suddenly catching. Trust me, if the spider gears were bad, YOU WOULD KNOW. As first there would be a really loud cracking noise, signifying the break, and you would have piss poor ability to steer your Jeep should it happen in the front. A pop usually preceeded the spider gears locking up, (and didn't neccessarily happen when turning) which was why I ended up in a ditch 3 times when I was trying to limp my Jeep back to where we parked the trailers, and I was only going around 20mph on a back road.

Yeah, like I said I read about it somewere a while back not to sure exactly what it said.

Rubicon express, 5.5" extreme duty kit, drivers side upper control arm rubber bushing was cracked.Replaced it and all is good.

Just dropped a new motor in my 2000 XJ. On first road test, there was a loud creaking/popping/groaning noise when turning the wheel. I had thoroughly cleaned and pressure washed the engine bay and thought maybe I had blasted all the grease from the steering U-joint or the steering box. The motor mount bracket and the track bar bracket are basically one unit. As it turns out, there was ONE slightly loose (1/4 turn) bolt on the bottom of the bracket. Tightened it down and presto, the noise was gone. Maybe taking the weight off of it during the motor swap allowed something to move a bit, but anyway it's fixed. Tricky to find the source, but easy to fix.

Back