• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack n Tap w/3" lift

Brian82

NAXJA Forum User
Ive run a hack n tape SYE with 4.5" lift before using a XJ front drives shaft in the rear. Anyone done it with 3" Lift or will a stock xj front shaft be too long? and that is obviously cutting off as much remaining shaft as possible from the xfer case.

H&T at 3 inches can be done. The stock driveshafts IMO are a bit too long for H&T at 3 inches of lift. I would try to find a slightly shorter driveshaft. The NAXJA FAQ's has a driveshaft length thread. Around here the driveline shop charges $75 to shorten and balance a driveshaft, which is still cheaper than a custom made drive shaft.

H&T at 3 inches can be done. The stock driveshafts IMO are a bit too long for H&T at 3 inches of lift. I would try to find a slightly shorter driveshaft. The NAXJA FAQ's has a driveshaft length thread. Around here the driveline shop charges $75 to shorten and balance a driveshaft, which is still cheaper than a custom made drive shaft.

Yeah roger that, i do have a shaft shop near by, i'll do some measuring and still use a front shaft and have it shortened..

I know when I did my h&t I was at 2.5" if lift but I also cut them tcase shaft down to the lowest safe length which was 1.25". Ran a standard front shaft and didn't have issues

Looking for a starting point here since ill be doing leaf spring shims myself and ordering them online. Suggestions on what degree shim i could start with. 3" lift with hack n tap SYE kit. Im thinking a 3-4 degree shim. I do have some vibrations with the zero pinion angle stock setup.

Yeah roger that, i do have a shaft shop near by, i'll do some measuring and still use a front shaft and have it shortened..

I'm not sure why you'd do a hack-n-tap if you are willing to pay to have a driveshaft shortened. It would be the same price (or cheaper) and better to toss a real SYE in. SYE kits are under $200 and only take a couple of hours.

Paul

Back