NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 14th, 2012, 18:16
NAXJA Forum User

Driver's side factory grab handle

Not the most thrilling subject. Mods feel free to move to OEM tech. I installed a factory grab handle above the driver's seat. The holes were there, but I had to use the screws to create the threads.

To measure, remove the passenger side grab handle and use the distance from the back of the trim to the edge of the front and rear cutouts. Use the top of the trim to measure the height of the cutouts. Cut with a dremel. Be careful not to break the clips holding the trim on when you are pulling it away from the body. I broke the first a-pillar clip so I didn't attempt to remove the trim entirely. I just pulled it away from the body a bit and cut away. Took about 10 seconds per hole. Mess was minimal.

Old January 14th, 2012, 18:54
NAXJA Member

Re: Driver's side factory grab handle

Nice job. I could never understand why they didn't put one on the drivers side anyway. For the record, what year model.
Old January 14th, 2012, 19:38
NAXJA Forum User

99? Shouldn't any Jeep that was also sold as a RHD model have the weldnuts or whatever in place? Never really thought about it before, but that would be handy at times.
Old January 14th, 2012, 19:56
NAXJA Forum User

And I was thinking that I was the only weird person planing to do this modifision to my 2001 XJ ! I already got the handle about 2 weeks ago. But I also need to thread out the holes.
Old January 14th, 2012, 20:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubs97xj View Post
99? Shouldn't any Jeep that was also sold as a RHD model have the weldnuts or whatever in place? Never really thought about it before, but that would be handy at times.
You are correct. I've yet to see a vehicle that didn't have the holes for a grab handle in that spot. I've done the mod on a number of VW's. It's a bit trickier on the Jeep since you have to make square holes.

My XJ is a '99
Old January 14th, 2012, 22:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post
Nice job. I could never understand why they didn't put one on the drivers side anyway. For the record, what year model.
I guess they thought the driver should be holding on to the steering wheel...
Old January 15th, 2012, 09:26
NAXJA Forum User

Did the same to mine with one of two handles I pulled. I used self tapping screws, and additionally used "Liquid Nail" to cement that down. (took 6 months for the cement to set, but worth the extra failsafe). Figured I get around to positioning the other one somewhere handy for the passenger to use as a panic grab handle. (Had one in my '61 Porsche.., lol, and it was used alot!).
Old January 7th, 2021, 20:12
NAXJA Forum User

And Here I was about to post about this thinking I was the first one that did it lol
Old January 7th, 2021, 21:04
NAXJA Forum User

It is very common to see a passenger side but not driver side grab handle on a lot of cars. Perhaps some regulation or liability reason ???

On my stock handles the screws have pulled out on one of them. I haven't dug into them yet to figure what I need to do, screw looks rather wimpy. factory 1990 XJ handle.

Someone mentioned VWs! What kind? Been doing VWs since I was a kid, air cooled 60s bugs, microbus, ghia (that was a 58), VW kitcar, etc... My Jeep has been the odd ball, going on two years now, lot different than that german vintage stuff. I have rebuilt manual gear boxes, but never had touched an automatic, rarely ever drove an automatic till the Jeep, water cooled too, quite the novelty to me.
Old January 13th, 2021, 07:17
NAXJA Forum User

Handle too close to the drivers head incase of accident. Liability issue likely.
Old January 13th, 2021, 09:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjx40250 View Post
Handle too close to the drivers head incase of accident. Liability issue likely.
Interesting that that liability does not extend to occupants next to the other grab handles.

It still dont make sense to me. Passengers have heads too.

It cant be about keeping ones hands on the wheel, else there would be no arm rest for the driver. for me my arm is usually resting on the window sill.

perhaps it is considered a distraction? weird.
Old January 13th, 2021, 10:21
NAXJA Forum User

Might be a us regulation, my 95 japanese spec rhd has grab handles on both sides.