• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Service Manual for 85 XJ???

tow2topgun

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a Factory Service Manual for a 1985 Cherokee. I think the manual is M.R. 247. Would also be very interested in a CD version too. Or does anyone know where to download these???
Thanks.

tow2topgun said:
Does anyone have a Factory Service Manual for a 1985 Cherokee. I think the manual is M.R. 247. Would also be very interested in a CD version too. Or does anyone know where to download these???
Thanks.

That's an AMC number, so if you find it it will be an old manual on eBay, or a reprint (from somewhere like Books4Cars, check online.)

I need to dig mine up again and scan it. Is there anything specific you're looking for in the meantime?

I was gonna ask if you needed the manual or just info, and tell you 5-90 would prolly chime in, but he allready did. go figure?

tow2topgun said:
I am wanting HVAC, Vac, and Electrical diagrams. The ones in Haynes and Chiltons suck. Thanks

I should have electrical diagrams up on RENIXPower (groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower) for download, and vacuum diagrams should be on the underhood emissions sticker. HVAC would take a little digging...

There are lots of guru's around here. If you can decipher it, there is a vacum diagram on the firewall just above the brake booster.

See, I have a problem. The PO painted the diagram on the firewall. I have the one from the Haynes manual and have been told it is the same as that sticker. That only covers engine vacuum though. I am trying to get my HVAC working and it isn't covered in a HAynes manual. Clear on the GURU's around here too!

What exactly is not working on your hvac?

Not getting any air flow from my dash vents. I have a post on this and everyone is pointing to the vac switch which opens and closes the defrost, floor, and dash vents. Plus, overall the old XJ has not been taken care of in quiet some time and I am tryin my best to get her back on her feet.

check the vac line that runs behind your battery down to the canister behind the front bumper

:doh: I have two canisters mounted over the front right wheel well. Looks like two cans of baked beans. These are not behind the bumper. Are they not the right ones or are there more canisters? AHHHHHHHH

Your blend door is vacuum controlled. Look for a small (probably black) vacuum line coming from your firewall, and trace it to it's vacuum source. If in doubt of which line, look under the passanger side of the dash and find the blend door line there, and start tracing. Good luck!

Ahhhh, arent vacuum lines fun? I have an 85 aswell, and its a nightmare. I figured out that if i had dash vents, my 4wd light would come on, and if I didn't, it would stay off. I finally messed with it enough to get everything to work though.

Vacuum HELL, I tell ya.

85xj4dr said:
Ahhhh, arent vacuum lines fun? I have an 85 aswell, and its a nightmare. I figured out that if i had dash vents, my 4wd light would come on, and if I didn't, it would stay off. I finally messed with it enough to get everything to work though.

Vacuum HELL, I tell ya.

Could be worse. Late 1980's F-body with carburettor. My son had two - one after the other (and both were plagued with electrical and vacuum issues...)

It seems like anything made in the eighties is a vacuum/electrical/emissions hell.

Why do we have to be concerend about the enviroment? I hear theres some good wheeling on Mars anyways...

85xj4dr said:
It seems like anything made in the eighties is a vacuum/electrical/emissions hell.

Why do we have to be concerend about the enviroment? I hear theres some good wheeling on Mars anyways...

I've no trouble trying to preserve the environment - just that there are usually rather better ways to go about it than the ersatz methods that end up getting approved.

And, if we're going to preserve the environment, let's preserve the environment so it can be enjoyed - not the "let's save it and keep everyone the Hell out" that the greenies are going for.

Back