• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody ever had knee replacement surgery

dspilot

NAXJA Forum User
My wife is having this done on Tuesday Jan. 30. Anyone had it done? What should we expect. She is very young to have this surgery, but due to a weird skiing injury and ten previous surgeries, it is about all that is left.

Mom had it 4 times, twice per knee.

Last ones were at 70+ years old....recovery was quick, and fairly pain free, FL docs give seniors good drugs. :D

Rev

It can vary a lot from patient to patient. if she takes pain well shouldnt be too bad. I do physical therapy in a hospital and work a lot with joint repalcements. I have seen people walk out the day after surgery, others are there for rehab for a couple of weeks. usualy re-replacements arent too bad it just depends on how the bone holds up around the prosthesis over time. the best thing youre wife will be able to do is get it moving keep the knee moving after surgery. wish her luck

Had my hip done a couple years ago. Worked out well. How old is she? I know "young" is considered 50 for a hip. I was 19.

Yeah, I would say 19 is pretty young for a replacement anything. She is 35, and everyone says that is way young. We are just pretty much outta options though. All told, I believe this will be her 10th knee surgery.

I had a bi-lateral hip replacement (at the age of 26) about 12 years ago at Rush-Pres in Chicago (bi-lateral means both were replaced at more or less the same time).

I had the stem of my prosthetic glued into place which allowed both of my new artificial joints to immediately become load bearing and allowed me to get back on my feet 2 days after surgery (as an interesting side note the glue is the same compound used to make lenses on tail lights in automobiles). If the prosthetic hadn't been glued to my thigh bone, it then would have to naturally grow into crevices in the stem of the prosthetic, which means your legs are non-loading bearing for roughly 3 months.

Everything was going great and I was walking (which I hadn't been able to do for a solid 8 years prior to the surgery) with the aid of forearm crutches I was getting stronger with each passing day. By roughly the 5th day we began to notice redness on the lower part of the incision on my right leg. We raised our concerns with the fellows for my surgeon (my surgeon was at his horse ranch in Argentina) and it was promptly dismissed as normal tissue inflammation following such a surgery. As the end of the 2nd week drew near I began running a high temperature.

So back into yet another surgery (#2) to change out a few parts on my right hip and to wash the capsule with antibiotics. Then I was on a cocktail of some strong IV antibiotics for 2-3 weeks, Vancomycin, Gentamycin and I want to say Cipro for 2-3 weeks (I had to discontinue the use of Gentamycin due to losing some of my hearing acuity). I ended up spending a few weeks in an extended care facility. Unfortunately the second surgery set back my ability to walk as well as I had been from the first set of surgeries. Just like clock work about 2 weeks after stopping IV therapy I begin running a high temperature. It’s my right leg again.

So back into yet another surgery (#3) to completely remove the glued-in prosthetic. Once removed they put in a plastic spacer saturated in antibiotics and sent my home for antibiotic therapy for 3-4 months. The bad news was the plastic spacer was non-load bearing so I had to keep my weight off of it during that period of time which means I was immobile a lot during that span.

After 4-6 months I went back in for surgery (#4) to remove the spacer and install a new prosthetic back into my right hip. Because of the trauma to my Femur in removing the past prosthetic, I had to get a non-load bearing prosthetic and let my bone attach itself naturally to the prosthetic. Also they had to wire down one of my muscles because of concern the tendon was tearing away from the bone. I spent 3 months off my right leg letting the implant firm up. Then another 2-3 months on physical therapy.

After my first surgery I was walking great. But now my previously dominate right leg was my weak limb. After being cut into so many times the muscle became very tough and lost its elasticity. Because of this my leg loses flexibility and strength. The new prosthetic has a longer stem that goes deeper in my thigh bone. This was done because from removing the past prosthetic and glue caused my thigh bone to become thin. The downside is when I walk it doesn’t take long at all to where I feel what would be like a Charlie horse in my leg. That is caused by the bone flexing around the end of this stiff prosthetic. The bottom line is I am lucky if I can walk 1/5th as far as I could after the first surgery. If only things hadn’t happened they way they have had…

Depending upon how my hips turned out, I was going to get my shoulders replaced (both are fused) and eventually my knees. Well, the hip surgeries were a good 12 years ago. And I still tolerate the pain and lack of range of motion in both shoulders and knees. I probably will have them done sometime in the next 5 – 15 years, but I am letting the technology mature some more in addition to being only 38 at this time.

Unfortunately of the four people I know that had knee surgeries all of them had some bad outcome. Three had issues with infection (in fact one was just operated on again just last week). A couple have pain with the end result of the replacement. One of them was going to have both knees done, but stopped after the first one went wrong. Another had both done one good and one not so good.

Checking your surgeons record for a history of problems is important. This surgery isn’t like going to the dentist and getting a cavity filled. So what kind of history the hospital has with post-surgery infections is now a critical issue for me.

Having said all that, I would still do the hip surgery over again. I am still much improved over having fused hip capsules and being confined to a wheelchair.

Last edited:
Yeah that sounds tough. The surgeon we are seeing is a nationally known expert on the process. He actually does seminars for Mayo and Jons-Hopkins and several other well known institutions. We even know some of his former patients. He is highly regarded in the area of knee replacements.

Best of luck, you be sure to be strict on her with her limits and PT.

If you're seeing a doc that has done hundreds or more of these procedures the likelihood is slim to none that there will be any complications. Most of the issues are around proper alignment of the knee and leg. Again if he's done numerous surgeries, its a no-brainer. An experienced surgeon will take about an hour to do a knee replacement. The equipment they use these days, done by an experienced doc, makes the process as close to boilerplate as possible given that everyone is built differently. She will do very well, particularly given your surgeon's reputation.

My doctor was renowned as well and had an implant named after him. Was rated number #1 in Chicago. He did one leg, then operated on someone else and then did my other. Not sure if the bacteria got introduced then or later in my room. But unfortunately for all his experience I still got the infection.

Going into the surgery they told me 1.5% chance of infection. Then they told me almost never happens that a second infection occurs (I can't remember the percentage but I think I was told .05%). When it happened a thrid time it was probably guiness book of world records for them.

I had three different surgeons over those four surgeries. My surgery was a big topic of conversation for the doctors. I meant other orthopeds later that knew me by my last name. That was my 15 minutes of fame.

Like I said I am eternally grateful things finally took and that I can walk again. Things were worse before than they are now. Its just that I have seen quite a few surgeries come out not as good as what the recipient was expecting. Need to go into it with eyes wide open.

NAXJA is NOT the place to be researching statistics about success or failure rates of knee replacement surgery. There are so many factors that play into the success or failure of a surgery that have as much and more to do with the patient than the surgery or surgeon. If your wife is in otherwise good health and takes good care of herself in all other aspects both before and after the surgery, then follows up with her PT, she'll do fine. I have a buddy who's an orthopedic surgeon at the Mayo clinic. He specializes in shoulders and told me once about about a young woman who he did a rotator cuff repair for. The day after the surgery she fell out of bed and tore up the whole repair. I think there were also drugs or alcohol involved,... I don't remember. Things aren't always as they appear.

Your wife will do fine.

MGrobe said:
Riiiigggghhhhttt....

You know what? Only an idiot would go into a hospital with with a Pollyanna attitude. Of course you have to keep your eyes open just like anything else in life. On the other hand wether its you or a spouse,.... entering surgery with a doom and gloom attitude as if there is a booby trap around every corner is paranoia and totally unhealthy. There have been volumes written on the psychology of recovery. If you think you're going to get sick and die you probably will.

yardape said:
You know what? Only an idiot would go into a hospital with with a Pollyanna attitude. Of course you have to keep your eyes open just like anything else in life. On the other hand wether its you or a spouse,.... entering surgery with a doom and gloom attitude as if there is a booby trap around every corner is paranoia and totally unhealthy. There have been volumes written on the psychology of recovery. If you think you're going to get sick and die you probably will.

I am not trying to influence your way of thinking at all. But here is my position on a few points you have raised.

I don’t recall a single person stating that a “Pollyanna” attitude entering a surgery was the appropriate way to approach such an endeavor. Regardless it is normal to have a certain amount of fear upon going into surgery as it is only natural. Joint replacement surgery shouldn’t be entered into lightly and with blind trust in my opinion. God forbid things happen to go wrong, it isn’t like a bad haircut that will grow out a month later and a different barber can do a better job. As I stated earlier, you have a lot less options available to fall back upon to rectify the problem after your natural joint is gone. Having a healthy respect of the complexities involved in a surgery isn’t being “Pollyanna”.

The original poster wasn’t attempting to create a statistical model off of NAXJA experiences. He was merely asking if anyone had any experience with knee surgeries and how they turned out. Naturally I would expect most responses to be positive as the surgery statistics would bear. But I have some knowledge and experience to the contrary so seen as he is asking for this type of feedback I am not going to withhold what I know. While my hip replacement isn’t exactly the same as a knee replacement, I do feel with my past experiences that I have a certain level of knowledge that someone entering a surgical procedure isn’t going to have. Hip surgeries in general are less complicated than knee surgeries so it increases my need to proceed cautious and well informed manner. Coincidentally my own orthopedics office has asked me on more than one occasion to allow a perspective patient with a similar background as mine and similar concerns could call me via the telephone to talk about my experiences with hip replacement surgery. Seems they didn’t take offense to my feelings and experiences.

I’m not sure why you would mention your friend that is a surgeon at the Mayo clinic that due to drug abuse had a patient tear a rotator cuff after the joint surgery. Clearly his patient’s outcome had absolutely nothing to do with the level of his expertise or the conditions of the operating environment that he works within.

In my own cited examples I can assure you that my grandmother wasn’t hitting the crack pipe following her knee replacement nor was there anything that she was at fault in the complications that had arose post surgery.

Nor was my 82 year old next door neighbor that was a Marine had fought at Iwo Jima and still is in great physical shape.

Nor was my best friends father who at the age of 71 continued to play softball in a senior’s league five days a week in Arizona, at least before he had surgery.

Each one of them had some sort of complications following their surgeries. A couple of them have commented to me personally that if they had to do it all over again they wouldn’t have had the surgery as the end result wasn’t worth it.

Ultimately what I worry about is someone going to a pre-surgery interview with a surgeon and not having a good grasp of what types of questions and concerns they should address and work out with the surgeon. The natural thing to do is to just listen to the expert and answer yes and no when appropriate and schedule your surgery date.

In the case of my best friends father that played softball (Stu). Stu always was working out and running. For the 30 years I have known him he has been in exceptional shape. All the activity has had a negative impact in the form of wearing out the cartilage in his poor knees. Someone on one of his softball teams had knee replacement surgery and everything turned out great and that person felt a lot better. So Stu goes to an orthopedic surgeon and schedules a bi-lateral knee replacement. Stu was under the false impression (whether the surgeon was aware of this is unknown by me) that he would be laid up for about six months but after that he would be back to playing softball, with relatively pain free knees.

It turns out it took him two years of recovery time to return to playing again. He still has pain, not the same as before as it is a different and new pain in one of his knees. If he had to do it all over again he would have skipped the surgery or at the most done one knee at a time. This is what he told me on the phone 10 hours ago.

In complaining about his knee, the surgeon told him that most of his patients that are Stu’s age aren’t as active as he is so usually the problems he is experiencing aren’t as much of an issue to them. Kind of like being told everything will turn out okay, then when it isn’t and you have the feeling a pebble is in your knee that you are the exception and not the norm and you’ll have to get used to it. Now he his outcome isn’t probably typical, but will the surgeons statistics bear that out? What constitutes a good surgery? How much irregular pain, infection or other bugaboos have to occur to not have a surgery be successful?

So I would strongly recommend anyone to considering joint replacement surgery to take a long and hard look at what you currently can do and what you can’t do. Then discuss this with a surgeon and get a good honest and realistic response on how likely the end result will be in relation to your expectations. You may find that your quality of life can be increased (much like mine has been) or you may find that some things you had assumed would be there for you afterwards are not realistic and you might want to tolerate your current condition to wait for a better period in your life to chance those results.

I wouldn’t characterize joint replacement surgery as a no-brainer. Tying your shoes is a no-brainer. But if we have you sit down and tie a knot in your shoes 1000 times, you’re bound to make a mistake. The same is true with surgery. As you stated earlier there can be a ton of complications during a surgery and all things go perfectly every time isn’t realistic. The good news is more good things occur than bad things. But I wouldn’t want to turn a deaf ear to the bad. In fact I would rather talk first to a surgeons cases that didn’t turn out well and then discuss it with some that turned out well. After that I would have a better feeling about what good results can come from this partnership with a surgeon.

Well, that’s all I have to say about that. If anyone has any other questions for me feel free to PM me.

FWIW...My right knee is a replacement from a skiing accident in the late '80s. I was 19 at the time.

I know many people who have had knee surgeries of varying levels and I can say only one thing for sure....every one is different. Each person's ability to heal, stand the pain, do the PT is individualized.

Now, having said that. If she takes it easy and does the PT, it will help whatever individual tolerances she has. I went skiing the very next season, and was probably too early in the healing process, and it set me back overall.

Now, I can do just about anything I could before the surgery....but it took time. Don't rush it.

Jim

Back