• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP why do i have a 3 speed aw4?

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
okay apparantyly there is something wrong with my xj, its an 88 aw4, 4.0, np231, when u put it in 1-2 it never shifts, it just stays in one gear, if you put it in 3 then it only shifts one time. and if u put in overdrive it just acts kinda screwy, it doesnt want to downshift, it shifts early the the shifts are sluggish. i tried searching but didnt find anything. i dont think that it is anything new, im pretty sure it has been doing it the hole time ive had it. when u put it in 3 (how i always drive it unless on interstate) then it shifts fine but its just missing a gear. anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

kolby

Could be your throttle position sensor. (TPS). You can test it with a meter. Also be advised the one for the automatic is different the the standard one.

got your engine wet recently didnt ya?? the screwy shift pattern is common with a faulty TPS.. the second gear "missing" issue is another one totally.. it'll hit 2nd gear.. just at a much higher RPM than normal people drive.. if you dropped it into 1-2 at 50 mph it would hit 2nd gear.. then at some ridiculously high speed like 40 or so it will hit 1st.. terrible design, but generally not a problem... check the TPS for the shift-point problem...

accualy no i havnt ever gotten this motor wet, im too poor to be throwing money at seals and bearings in my axles to play in mud and water, i pretty much keep to rock and trails. so are u saying that if i put it in 1-2 going going 50 itll fix it? not to sure about that one. sounds like a good way to nuke a tranny, if u ask me. i was thinking it might be wiring or something since the aw4 is electronicaly controled

kolby

i didnt say the 50 mph thing would fix it.. i was pointing out how useless the preprogrammed shift point for the 1-2 shift is... and as far as gettingit wet i was thinking more along the lines of maybe degreasing the engine with a hose.. i still say the TPS is your culprit..

hmm didnt think that was what u meant but i thought id check, that would be some very mean advice to give someone that didnt know any beter. lol. dont think the fact that my cruise doesnt work has anything to do with it do u?

kolby

lankchevy said:
accualy no i havnt ever gotten this motor wet, im too poor to be throwing money at seals and bearings in my axles to play in mud and water, i pretty much keep to rock and trails. so are u saying that if i put it in 1-2 going going 50 itll fix it? not to sure about that one. sounds like a good way to nuke a tranny, if u ask me. i was thinking it might be wiring or something since the aw4 is electronicaly controled

kolby
just a side point here- i doubt that would nuke the tranny, most stock jeeps can hit 65-70 in 2nd gear at redline- or at least mine neways

Back