• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

screamin deal on axles. I think?

noobie2Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hello fellow XJers. I've got what I think is a golden opportunity to get a set of dana 44/dana 60 axles for a song and I was just wondering exactly what to look for in buying axles. Off the top of my head these are out of a 73 Ford f250. The 44 is closed knuckle, drivers drop with drums. So when I go look at these what should I look for and also how much of a project is it goin to be to strap these to my rig? Thanks

noobie2Cherokee said:
Hello fellow XJers. I've got what I think is a golden opportunity to get a set of dana 44/dana 60 axles for a song and I was just wondering exactly what to look for in buying axles. Off the top of my head these are out of a 73 Ford f250. The 44 is closed knuckle, drivers drop with drums. So when I go look at these what should I look for and also how much of a project is it goin to be to strap these to my rig? Thanks

I wouldn't take that set of axles if they were given to me.

The closed knuckle, low pinion 44 is basically junk. Small joints, limited turn radius, horrible brakes, no possibility of high steer.

The rear is a run of the mill 30 spline (maybe 23 spline) :eek: 60 that you can get all day long at a U-pick it place for $75.

Junk.

x100 on closed knuckle axles!

just as CRASH said, the front is junk, the rear is either junk or just plain common.

both could be upgraded though. put D60 outers on the front D44 and 35 spline shafts/carrier in the rear 60... but I wouldn't pay more than a case of beer for the housings.

Back