• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes sticking

joejeep92

NAXJA Forum User
Just got done with tie rod ends on my 1992 jeep Cherokee sport 4.0 with 5 speed. Just pulled out of the alignment shop and after a couple errands went to head out to the lake for a BBQ. However I noticed that the vehicle wouldn't accelerate like it normally should and was bogging down in every gear. Pulled over and my passenger side front brake was smoking and my driver side was very hot. Let it sit for a while then pumped the brakes a few times and they seemed to be fine. Drove it home and parked it and this morning took it on a tentative test run and everything worked fine. Took it on a little longer drive, got back to the house and the wheels were getting hot. Anybody else run into this problem?

Either a sticky caliper or deteriorating soft brake hoses. Start with some new hoses.

i have the EXACT same problem. I was driving down the highway and all of a sudden the Jeep started bogging down a bit... not TOO bad.. but enough to notice...and then I could smell it. I pulled over and smoke came out of the passenger side front wheel well. The driver's side was also way hot. An hour later, i get it towed home, only to realize the brakes weren't stuck anymore. I drove it the next few days without any problems. Then it happened again close to home. I pulled over, let it sit for a few minutes and it was fine again. I'm replacing the calipers and the hoses. I got both calipers and both hoses for less than $50 with Advance Auto Part's discount code. RAF4A1102. It gives you $35 off a purchase of $85 or more. I got all those and threw in a can of WD40 and it totaled $85. Buy it online, pick it up at store, and they refund you the core charge for the calipers.

Sometimes the pistons get a little sticky. In brake school they recommended collapsing the pistons all the way and exercising them a little. Whatever you do don't push the brake pedal without the calipers mounted and the pads on.
Check the piston seal. And lastly I have gotten factory pads that were just too thick (once), the piston couldn't release enough.

Always a good idea to bleed the brakes a little. Air in the system usually causes a soft pedal, but in my motorcycle it will expand from heat and cause the brakes to lock.

Last edited:
I replaced the calipers and hoses on mah Jeep. So far, after 200 miles of mixed driving (highway, off road) everything is working great. I can also coast in neutral now for MUCH longer than I could before. So far so good. If anything changes, i'll post here again.

Back