• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-joint snapped tab on yoke off, new yoke needed?

fattmann

NAXJA Forum User
The straps holding my U-joints onto the rear (8.25) pinion yoke gave way and caused the driveshaft to tear loose. In the process it broke one of the little tabs that help hold the U-joints in place on the yoke itself.

I just assumed it wouldn't be safe to run it without that retaining tab, so i plan on replacing the yoke. Just looking for second opinions that would confirm or deny this thought process.

Thought about just welding a new tab on there, but between balancing issues and the fact the yoke appears to be cast, figured i'd better not chance it.

Same thing happened to me on the trail this weekend. We replaced the u-joint, then continued wheeling. The drive shft came off again because the tab wasn't there. One of the guys with us bolted it back in, and then used 2 quarters, a washer (bigger than a quarter), and gorilla tape to hold it together.

Moral of the story, I concur... replace the yoke ASAP.

i welded a washer to the strap skit when my tab broke off. the washer was just a little smaller than the u joint cap. i know it should of thrown the balancing off but i drove it that way for 2 years with no vibration.

i welded a washer to the strap skit when my tab broke off. the washer was just a little smaller than the u joint cap. i know it should of thrown the balancing off but i drove it that way for 2 years with no vibration.
At that location I doubt balance is a big issue, but centering and snugness can be. You must have gotten the washer in the right place. When the tabs wear, they allow end play in the cups, and they can beat themselves to death in a few months.

when i replace the u joint i made sure it was against the opp side tab put the washer against the end cap and welded it on! guess i was lucky! but it would work as a great trail fix!

A little off topic, but along the same line of thinking--I know a lot of guys weld the caps in place on axle joints; would that be worthwhile on a driveshaft?

Back