• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips for Removing Xfer case?

IMORTL

NAXJA Member #1156
I have read how to take out the Xfer case. but are there tips to make this easier?

I plan on supporting it with a jack to move around. If I have a SYE installed do I have to drain the fluid?

What I'm doing is taking a 242 w/ SYE out of an 87 and putting it into a 90...

Is it as simple as counting the splines to see if they match up the same? (looking on the 242 Im taking out to compare)...

thanks
ken

take it to a shop and have them remove it, have done two and think they are a PITA, just had one removed at a local garage for $65....way easier than laying on the ground and bustin' ur butt . Just my opinion.

make sure bother engine sizes are the same. 4cyl has less spline count than 4.0

I did it in a junk yard on a jeep sitting on the ground with 2 bottle jacks in about 2 hours. little less cuz i had to search for the jacks. 9/16 stubby box wrench and a regular 9/16.

remove driveshafts
disconect links
support trans
drop crossmember
loosen/remove accessable bolts
lift/lower trans to get to upper bolts
support t-case as well as trans to get top bolt

as you get the last bolt on top loosened bench press it off the trans and roll it off ont the ground. you don't NEED to drain fluid, but you might get some comming out on the t-case with no sye

Back