• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing stock exhaust (cat-back)...tips?

Deyman

NAXJA Forum User
I got as far as getting the cat to muffler clamp off and the stock exhaust off the hangers. I cant seem to get the muffler to let go of the cat. I tried pounding with a bfh, but I don't want to damage the stock cat. I'd like to try to get it off in one piece if it's possible. Any suggestions? plus it just started raining! New system going on is Rusty's cat back with the flowmaster. I noticed there's no rear hanger welded to the new pipe. Is one hanger enough (the one right behind muffler)? There were also three clamps in the flowmaster box. As far as I can see I should only need two right? (before and after the muffler) Thanks

Deyman

not sure if you have accessto air tools there.....

but what i did whem i did my cat back (actually replaced the cat with a new stainless hi flow one)

i used an air cutter wheel (disc) to make 3 VERY careful cuts lengthwise around the base of the pipe attached to the cat----you wantto cut the slits in the bad metal (the OEM stuff you are throwing away) on TOP of the good pipe u need to attach to

after the 3 cuts, it should make things a LOT easier!

good luck

The stock cat is crimped on...it's very difficult to get off in one piece. I first tried a BFH, then an air chisel. I got the old cat mounted into the new system, but all that banging on the cat dislodged a lot of crap inside, and it started rattling like crazy. So I ended up putting a new Carsound cat in.

Spent more time all because I was being cheap and trying to get away with using the old cat. Buy a new cat...they're cheap enough.

As for the hanger, you could weld one on yourself or go down to the local muffler shop. It shouldn't take much time or cost very much.

Back