• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 & 4 Door Interior Differences

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Fellow members,
I’m about to gear up to do a 97+ interior swap on my 91 2 door. I’m gathering interior parts right now and have some questions before I start buying.

1. Are there any differences between the 2 door & 4 door carpet? Can I use the 4 door Xj carpet? Finding new 2 door carpet is virtually impossible lol.

2. I have the Seats from a 97+ 4 door (already bought the brackets from a 97+ Xj to weld in to mount seats). How do the 97+ 2 door seats tilt? Do they have a tilt lever on the side like my 91 2 door seats?

Thanks in advanced

pretty sure the carpet is the same in the 97+ ive never been able to find a difference between my 99 2dr and my friends 98 4 door carpet wise. I wouldn't suggest putting 4 door seats on driver and pass side in the front unless you never plan on using the back seat at all. I have always toyed with the idea of TJ seats but dunno if they would work.

pretty sure the carpet is the same in the 97+ ive never been able to find a difference between my 99 2dr and my friends 98 4 door carpet wise. I wouldn't suggest putting 4 door seats on driver and pass side in the front unless you never plan on using the back seat at all. I have always toyed with the idea of TJ seats but dunno if they would work.

I had read somewhere that the interior dimensions are the same between a 97 + 2 & 4 door. So they must be the same. I was thinking of installing the seats I have for now since my little one is nowhere near of age ( 20 days old) to be in the jeep yet (No AC or heat). I’ll keep an eye out for the time being for the fold down seats/brackets off a 2 door. Goose’s link explains how easy it would be to convert the seats down the line.

I've read that the folding brackets will swap to four door seats, so I'm about to try it myself pretty soon. Otherwise, yeah. The back seat becomes a catch all for crap. Small children can climb the console.

Not that the back seat is good for anyone over 4'10 anyway.

My rear seats are pulled on my 4 door now -- I have absolutely on intention of putting them back in

I may try and install another front bucket seat in the passenger side rear -- make it a 3 seater

My rear seats are pulled on my 4 door now -- I have absolutely on intention of putting them back in

I may try and install another front bucket seat in the passenger side rear -- make it a 3 seater

It’d be cool to install 2 front buckets seats in place of the rear bench

With a bit of carpet in between, it would be just like a 2+2.

Bonus points for rocker recliner bases.

Exactly and maybe some type of center console with cup holders would work perfect. (The simple things)

Exactly and maybe some type of center console with cup holders would work perfect. (The simple things)

I could imagine using another XJ console with everything forward of the armrest cut off and covered. The only instance I can imagine cup holders that wouldn't render the parking brake useless.

I could imagine using another XJ console with everything forward of the armrest cut off and covered. The only instance I can imagine cup holders that wouldn't render the parking brake useless.
Maybe install one of those Tuffy locking center consoles like the ones you buy for a Wrangler

I've done this, kind of in reverse.

All 97+ carpet is the same, no difference. Seats just require the side bracket from the '97+ 2 door. I put '96 country leather in my '99 2 door.

20180422110111-9c30345a.jpg

20180705164725-75a31767-me.jpg

I've done this, kind of in reverse.

All 97+ carpet is the same, no difference. Seats just require the side bracket from the '97+ 2 door. I put '96 country leather in my '99 2 door.

20180422110111-9c30345a.jpg

20180705164725-75a31767-me.jpg

Perfect Kittrell, that answers my questions.

Back