• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

While I'm At It

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
So being the typical jeeper I have developed a little DW at 55 MPH. I think a tire alignment and balance would fix the issue... but I figured hey I would have had to realign it after doing steering stuff so why not buy a RE long arm kit, get new brakes and rotors, and do the SYE/Tom Woods thing while I at it....heck that will save me 80 bucks in the long run from not having to do the alignment two times LOL.

That being said is there anything else I should look to upgrade while I have this stuff apart?

Currently I have: RE track bar, rustys 3.5 inch lift (full springs, and bilstein shocks), 31 inch tires, hood vents, neon injectors, K&N filter

DW is not caused by alignment or bad steering stabilizers. It is caused by oscillation of the steering system as a whole caused by instability. Instability is caused by slop or flex in one or more items in the system such as worn bushings, wallowed out mounting holes, worn ball joints, tie rod ends, control rod ends, cracked mounting brackets, etc.

Throwing parts at the problem is a waste of time and money. It takes only a couple of minutes and two people to diagnose the source of the problem. One person gets inside and rocks the steering wheel from side to side while the other crawls under and looks at each and every mounting point, joint, and bushing to see which one(s) has play in it.

Yea that is just who I am, I realized that I could fix it like that... but where is the fun... I need some reason to justify a long arm kit.

Since you have a issue that can be quite expensive to fix, fix it first! The other items can be done too, but have nothing to do with a LA kit.

Oops, I forgot to say that there are better kits(for cheaper) than the RE one!

Such as... don't leave me hanging. I really like the clayton but the offroad shop does not have them as a vendor. I, unfortunately live in an apartment and this is my DD so I don't have time to mess it up in my yard and not be able to get to work.

Such as... don't leave me hanging. I really like the clayton but the offroad shop does not have them as a vendor. I, unfortunately live in an apartment and this is my DD so I don't have time to mess it up in my yard and not be able to get to work.

IRO, Stinkyfab, ironman are all good kits. See if they'll let you buy your own and have them put it on.

I'll expand on what old man said and suggest that the assistant rock the wheel hard left to right with the key on, engine off. Look at every joint for slack, putting a hand around it if need be, and don't forget to look at the pitman shaft where it enters the steering box.

I'll expand on what old man said and suggest that the assistant rock the wheel hard left to right with the key on, engine off. Look at every joint for slack, putting a hand around it if need be, and don't forget to look at the pitman shaft where it enters the steering box.

Why engine off ?....using the power steering's power makes it easier to load it up and see the movement/play.

Why engine off ?....using the power steering's power makes it easier to load it up and see the movement/play.

Because the point isn't turning the wheels, but to observe play. Everyone assumes they should start it, which is why I felt inclined to suggest they don't. A dead system gives you something to bounce the wheel off of, which is why you rock hard. Back and forth, back and forth. You don't need power assist for that.

Makes observation a lot easier.

Back