• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The official (well not so official) RIGHT HAND DRIVE list of countries.

Arran

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen quit a few posts where people seem to think that Europe is all RHD. This is not the case, the countries that are RHD in Europe are:

Britain (England, Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland) as well as Ireland. All the rest are LHD. (Sweden changed in the late 60’s to LHD)

Other than that around the world:

Australia, New Zealand, Japan, India, South Africa and quit a few other African countries, Indonisia ext ext but don’t know the exact ones. There are probably more but ?.

Not very important info but i am board at work so figured I should do something productive. :roll:

drivemap.gif

ratman572 said:
Really, so US is RH drive?

Dangit,........... -that explains EVERYTHING!!! :doh:
Yep...as in the vehicles travel on the right side of the road.

DUH.

Arran said:
I have seen quit a few posts where people seem to think that Europe is all RHD. This is not the case, the countries that are RHD in Europe are:
Britain (England, Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland) as well as Ireland. All the rest are LHD. (Sweden changed in the late 60’s to LHD)

Nice bit of information but I think you got the terminology mixed up. In standard American English, LHD refers to the vehicle itself, not the road. So, a vehicle sold in the U.S.A. or Switzerland is LHD (left hand drive), not right hand drive because the steering wheel is placed where the driver sits- on the left. Continental Europe is "right hand traffic (RHT)." Motorists drive on the right unlike left-hand traffic countries like the U.K. where cars keep left and are generally sold equipped with "right hand drive" (the vehicle controls are placed on the right). So you could say that most of Europe is "right hand traffic" or LHD because vehicles sold there are LHD. Make sense?

bajacalal said:
In standard American English, LHD refers to the vehicle itself, not the road.

Same in European / Antipodean English - I've never heard of *-hand-drive referring to anything other than the side of the vehicle the steering wheel is on. Right-Hand Drive always means wheel on the right; Left-Hand Drive always means wheel on the left.

I've heard the terms Right-Hand Traffic and Left-Hand Traffic before, but nobody really uses them outside of (I believe) road engineering. When referring to which side of the road a given country drives on, people would usually say something along the lines of, "Ireland is Right-Hand Drive" or "Germany is Left-Hand Drive". The side of the road used is typically inferred from that.

Back