• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter ?

maineiac

NAXJA Forum User
when my jeep is cold and i turn the key i get one click than nothing if i keep letting off the key than turning it after about 25 times it turns over . do i have to replace the starter or just the selanoid ?selanoid 12.00 starter 90.00

maineiac said:
oh yea after its warm its fine till it gets cold again ,its an 89 with a 4.0

I have a 90 4.0 and my starter just went out. I went ahead and replaced the starter. I dont know if replacing the solenoid will fix it, but it may. My starter would click like yours and the whole time I thought I had an electrical problem. I replaced a bunch of stuff and I still had the same problem. Then one day I go to turn the key and nothing, not even a click. Yeah, its $90, but after I installed mine it would start like a champ. Good luck with your XJ.

90red

Maineiac,
I hate to suggest spending money when it may not be absolutely necessary, but I recommend that if you need to replace either the starter or the solenoid then you should replace them both at the same time. I figure that if one is going out, the other will shortly follow and you don't want to have to get back underneath a second time.

BUT, since your problem occurs when it's cold out, have you ruled out the possibility of a failing battery?

Erik
88 Comanche

What you need to check is the starter realy switch. Mine freezes up all the time and I can still start it by powering the solenoid with a screwdriver.

Next time it does it grab a screwdriver and jump the post with the power cable running to it with the small post with the small switch cable running to it. If it starts then its your switch not your starter.

I agree starter relay is the most likely culprit.

Michael

ill try that the reason why i didnt think it was that is because of a slight click when it is turned on thanks guys

Was having some alternator issues and had to swap out the battery a couple of times (one on the charger, one in the XJ). After about the third swap, had the same symptoms you discribe. Oil/grease on the battery poles, cleaned with brake cleaner, sanded reinstalled, started right up.
When the brushes are going bad or not making good contact in the starter, a sharp rap with a hammer on the back of the starter, is usually good for a couple of more starts.
The starter relay, usually looks fairly corroded inside, never had one fail on an XJ, but have seen many act up on the Dodge (pretty much the same part).
Noticed after cleaning the grounds, where the battery ground, hooks to the dipstick bracket and the motor to the firewall. My alternator charged better and the starter turned over a little faster.
Also had a bolt back out of the starter (believe it was the bottom) starting became a sometimes, thing.

Back