NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > SoCal Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

SoCal Chapter The SoCal Chapter covers Southern California and Arizona. Please post local topics here.

Old October 25th, 2010, 11:27
NAXJA Forum User

rear axle question

Ok i have dana 44 that i going to slap on rig. Guy at work who has xj in front of everyone tries to tell me u can cheaply upgrade a dana 35 to make it just as good or better than dana 44. He also says kunch box lockers like the aussie are junk. Opinions?
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:28
NAXJA Member

Re: rear axle question

tell the guy to punch himself in the balls.

/thread
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:40
NAXJA Forum User

The guy is stupid. A 35 can be upgraded but even so is not a 44. Lunchbox lockers are ok aussies are the best but no locker is indestructable so its a matter of where you want the
week link and what you want To spend
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4aride View Post
tell the guy to punch himself in the balls.

/thread
X2. That guy is a moron. Take some personal experience advice from me on this one. I had a 00 TJ with a 35 out back. The guys over at 4wheelparts in Corona fed me that same line of crap that if I through a TON of money at my 35 it would be just as strong as a 44. I actually believed them. I tossed in 4.56 gears, 31 spline chromoly shafts, new u-joint, and a detroit locker. I ran that axle on 35's for about a year. Eventually it grendaded. The axle shafts didn't break but the gears broke which through off the allignment which caused the entire 3rd menmber housing to grenade. $1500 gone in an instant. I eventually built a junk yard 44 with some used parts I found on Jeepforum for 1/2 the price and wheeled it like crazy with no issues.
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:05
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4Christ View Post
Ok i have dana 44 that i going to slap on rig. Guy at work who has xj in front of everyone tries to tell me u can cheaply upgrade a dana 35 to make it just as good or better than dana 44. He also says kunch box lockers like the aussie are junk. Opinions?
Only upgrades to a D35 that matter..
30 Spline larger shafts in Chromoly over the 1541 27 spline stock stuff. He much think that a 30 spline dana 35 is just as strong as a 30 spline D44 and the chromoly over the stock D44 1541 material, make the D35 stronger then?

Wrong. The D35 is smaller tube, and much smaller ring gear and the pinion head and contact area are much smaller then a D44. Not to mention the larger pinion bearings, and carrier bearings of a D44 are bigger. And the axle bearings are larger in the D44. Yes the dana 35 30 spline still has C-Clips, but thats not really a down side anymore, since you wont break a shaft anymore.

as for lunch box lockers. In a stock 27 spline dana 35 they are Junk. D35's are typically bent, a huge no no for a insert locker. The shafts are weak also in a stock dana 35. and the insert is very shock loading and typically helps break a shaft. Think of it this way... Take a glass table, slowly lower 100lbs of wieght on to the center of the glass. It holds it. Then take a metal key or such, and tap firmly on the glass near that wieght. Shatter... Same typ thing with a insert and a dana 35. its at its limits with a 33" tire to start, then start shock loading it.

Do the D44 if you have it. And a insert locker in that axle is more suitable, but a full case locker is always better....
All your drivetrain And Jeep needs at a Discount! Call us for all your drivetrain & Jeep accessorry needs. If it is for a Jeep we can get it for less and with superior service. Yukon, USA Standard, Motive, Ten factory, Detroit, ARB, Teraflex, Rock Krawler & A LOT MORE..
All items ship FAST! ~ http://www.rwkhaussupply.com ~ Robert@RWKHausSupply.com Free shipping on Rock Krawler kits. Dana 30 no question asked 1yr warranty axle kits FOR LESS!
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:08
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTK View Post
30 Spline larger shafts in Chromoly over the 1541 27 spline stock stuff. He much think that a 30 spline dana 35 is just as strong as a 30 spline D44 and the chromoly over the stock D44 1541 material, make the D35 stronger then?

Wrong. The D35 is smaller tube, and much smaller ring gear and the pinion head and contact area are much smaller then a D44. Not to mention the larger pinion bearings, and carrier bearings of a D44 are bigger. And the axle bearings are larger in the D44. Yes the dana 35 30 spline still has C-Clips, but thats not really a down side anymore, since you wont break a shaft anymore.

as for lunch box lockers. In a stock 27 spline dana 35 they are Junk. D35's are typically bent, a huge no no for a insert locker. The shafts are weak also in a stock dana 35. and the insert is very shock loading and typically helps break a shaft. Think of it this way... Take a glass table, slowly lower 100lbs of wieght on to the center of the glass. It holds it. Then take a metal key or such, and tap firmly on the glass near that wieght. Shatter... Same typ thing with a insert and a dana 35. its at its limits with a 33" tire to start, then start shock loading it.

Do the D44 if you have it. And a insert locker in that axle is more suitable, but a full case locker is always better....
you almost sound like you know what youre talking about

but i just wanted to quote it so it would be read again, cuz its truth.
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:10
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerr View Post
\Lunchbox lockers are ok aussies are the best
I have to respectfully FULLY dissagree.

Spartan, hands down.
Has larger Pins
Has larger springs
Made with better material
Made in USA
Comes WITH a new Cross Shaft, something aussie recommends but doesnt give you, WTF?
Install is extra easy.

LESS $ too... I sell em for $245 to your door for the D30 and D35.

And you dont ever have to deal with torq masters (the only auth importers of Aussie). they will run you around like mad, if you ever need service, and when theres a question as to warranty at all, they ship it back to Aust. and then make you wait. Spartan is by USA Standard AKA Yukon and in Washington.
All your drivetrain And Jeep needs at a Discount! Call us for all your drivetrain & Jeep accessorry needs. If it is for a Jeep we can get it for less and with superior service. Yukon, USA Standard, Motive, Ten factory, Detroit, ARB, Teraflex, Rock Krawler & A LOT MORE..
All items ship FAST! ~ http://www.rwkhaussupply.com ~ Robert@RWKHausSupply.com Free shipping on Rock Krawler kits. Dana 30 no question asked 1yr warranty axle kits FOR LESS!
Old October 25th, 2010, 13:06
NAXJA Forum User

I have no experience with spartan thus won't reccomend them. Iv had no issue wit multiple aussies even their customer service ha been good. I call I get what I need enough said no waiting for shippingto austrailia no hassles. Then again I've never given them a reason to mess with me either.

Quote:
I have to respectfully FULLY dissagree.

Spartan, hands down.
Has larger Pins
Has larger springs
Made with better material
Made in USA
Comes WITH a new Cross Shaft, something aussie recommends but doesnt give you, WTF?
Install is extra easy.

LESS $ too... I sell em for $245 to your door for the D30 and D35.

And you dont ever have to deal with torq masters (the only auth importers of Aussie). they will run you around like mad, if you ever need service, and when theres a question as to warranty at all, they ship it back to Aust. and then make you wait. Spartan is by USA Standard AKA Yukon and in Washington.
Old October 25th, 2010, 23:34
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

Yeah that is basically what he thinks/saying on the dana 35. His opinion on the lunchbox lockers is due to his friend who was in some show and jumped his XJ and broke the lockers.. thus he says they are junk... which i would not think that is a good test on something thats not designed to jump per say . Oh and he is running welded front dana 30 in vac disconnect axle and limited slip dana 35 rear on his rig.

On my Dana 44 right now its a limited slip type, so if it works i will when get funds drop a lunch box locker in front axle dana 30.. and would be nice to regear but need $$ heh . Right now if all goes well going to do axle swap Wednesday evening (starting at least) .

Thanks for the replies, yeah i have done a lot of reading here and other places, and what this guy is saying made no sense to me either
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:34
NAXJA Forum User

Everyone in this thread is correct. There is simply nothing you can do to a 35 to make it equal to or better than a 44. It simply physically cannot be done haha.
Old October 26th, 2010, 13:38
Dead man walking

you can fancy it up real good and make it close in strength to a stock d44, but if you dump the same amount of money into a d44 you will have a far superior axle.