• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Algonquin Park Canoe Trip

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
Was able to get a good camping trip in late September. The father in law, his brother, another buddy and I canoed/portaged 25km into Algonquin Park camped for 4 days, and made our way back out.
30 minutes after getting to our site we had the 2 big visitors in the pics, within about 25ft and no trouble at all.
Weather was fantastic, site was well kept and had a good supply of dead wood for the fire.
My father in law has been doing this his whole life, so he lives good when he goes out. The check list for food included steak and ingredients for, 2 cakes and pizza.

He makes atleast 1-2 trips into the park each year and this was my first trip with him... looking forward to making many more in the future.

Anyway, here are just some of the pics.

Ou7jL3057181-02.jpg

BJ0rH9000791-02.jpg

p77MNa325703-02.jpg

YIURGV778838-02.jpg

MmPjNu843415-02.jpg

me up front
7HebGZ206576-02.jpg

me on the right in the green
LztkFt606174-02.jpg

RJ4q10129102-02.jpg

C..W2M400885-02.jpg

Last edited:
plenty more photo's but just too many to post.
was a beautiful place to camp. I had been car camping in the park before, but this was something else. carry whatever you wanted and that was all we had.

if anyone ever gets up to this part of Ontario, be sure to get some time in the park... it will be worth it!

Looks like a beautiful area. Reminds me of the St John through Allagash Wilderness Waterway in Northern Maine. Love that area.

Thanks, lets see some more scenic pics.

Thats looks really cool, there is a boat in campground at tahoe I have been wanting to try.

Is that a puppy?

ah ya. the father in law is a suck for his toy poodle. since his kids moved out they (wife n him) have been doing some agility training with them... he couldn't go away for 1/2 a week and not bring her. she actually did well since we didn't do much bush bashing... sat on the packs in the canoe and kept around the camp while on land, very well trained thankfully.

will try and get some more scenic pics, but sadly during a trip like this we didn't grab a lot as it was always an after thought that

"oh wow, that would have made a great picture"

all thats left for scenic views... will have to take more time next time to get some better pics. first time was more in awe than in 'photo bug' mode I guess.

n507916911_835942_9215.jpg

n507916911_835944_9799.jpg

n507916911_835972_7134.jpg

n507916911_866136_4765.jpg

n507916911_866137_5032.jpg

n507916911_866138_5282.jpg

n507916911_866139_5588.jpg

n507916911_835925_4369.jpg

I camped in the exact same area when I was in high school. Portaging some of the stretches between lakes was really tough, but the overall experience was something I'll never forget. Algonquin was the only place I've ever been where I could dip my canteen into the lake and just drink.

I camped in the exact same area when I was in high school. Portaging some of the stretches between lakes was really tough, but the overall experience was something I'll never forget. Algonquin was the only place I've ever been where I could dip my canteen into the lake and just drink.

Now you saying the exact same area, you mean Algonquin Park in general or did you enter the park at the South River entrance and canoe/portage in from there? The park is quite large.

We covered 25km in, but only about 3km total of that was portage and the trails are not bad at all. A few roots, rocky paths and steep slopes, but nothing too crazy.

Ya the water was nice, but the people I was were big on filtered water, so I went a long with it.

Now you saying the exact same area, you mean Algonquin Park in general or did you enter the park at the South River entrance and canoe/portage in from there? The park is quite large.

We covered 25km in, but only about 3km total of that was portage and the trails are not bad at all. A few roots, rocky paths and steep slopes, but nothing too crazy.

Ya the water was nice, but the people I was were big on filtered water, so I went a long with it.

It was quite a while ago, but I believe we came in from the south. One of the portages was 3km in a single shot, and another was through mud up to our knees. There was also one that had small boards we had to balance on that were placed along sections of the trail.

I'm not sue drinking straight from the lakes was the best idea, but it was about 15 years ago and filters weren't as easily carried.

I did that same trip the summer before my senior year of HS. We were there a week, covered a lot of the same ground you did.

Best trip of my life IMO.

Back