• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS Devices

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
hey guys, i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good GPS for offroad/street use. i want one that records your route and is easy to make way points with. thanks =]

The Garmin 60CsX is pretty cool...but spendy $$$$. As a result, I don't have one but did a lot of "looking into it".

For work I use a Garmin GPSmap76 (old compared to new models) and it works great for simple tasks and maping, and my personal GPS is the Garmin 5Plus. It too is old comparded to the newer and fancier units, but it works for everything that I need. I originally bought it to plot our crop fields, but since have upgraded the combine and tractor with different units.

i have a garmin hand held that i like but i was thinking about the navigon 7100. i like the traffic update feature garmin's seem to lack. amazon also has them on sale for 286$.
i just dont know if theres a route recording option on them.

MpSlayer said:
hey guys, i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good GPS for offroad/street use. i want one that records your route and is easy to make way points with. thanks =]

I picked up a Lowrance XOG recently, tried recording my trails a couple weeks back (haven't reviewed it yet, but was easy to do).

Doesn't speak street names unless it's a numbered road, but that doesn't bother me.

Might be worth a look.

thanks Rob ill look into it. looks like the navigon was a bad idea no good for offroad use good for street though =P

Garmin Colorado 400T.... I'd love to have one..... They are kinda pricey, some of the lesser Colorado units are lower in cost, but the T in the name is for topo, and I hear it's great for off roading and hiking.

I have a Garmin Legend. The only thing that I wish is had was auto route planning. (Put in you destination, it tells you how to get there) But the built in map isn't bad, and with the Map Source program you can get great detail of any areas that you load onto the GPSr.

Between my two computer programs (Map Source and Expert GPS) I can lay out a route to take to get there, and then see the area from aerial photos before I leave.

Screen shot of ExpertGPS, somewhere on Poison Spider Mesa.

22739d4a.jpg

You can see the trail coming up from the South south east turning at the red circle to the east north east.

EDIT: Looks better at full screen....

Back