• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dogs

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
so, who take their dogs with them wheeling?

I've got a bit of a dillema.

Rocky is no problem, and hes got a harness for the seatbelt, he'd really just lay down and go to sleep while wheeling.

Bullwinkle is another matter. He doesn't like to ride in a car, let alone on the trail.
So, what to do with an anxious dog on the trail? I considered giving him half a dramamine, since he does get car sick.
I could put them both in the cage and strap the cage down, but I'm not sure I like the thought of the dogs bouncing around inside their cage.
Or I"m going to end up holding his chicken ass.

Ideas?

Dramamine is your friend! My heeler goes where ever I go usually. My corgie gets car sick and does not really like to wheel. We started using dramamine last year and the corgie is a totally different dog now. I almost think she enjoys wheeling now! Almost! LOL

Is there a way to seperate them and leave Bullwinkle home and take Rocky wheelin with you?
We used to take our dog everwhere with us, wheelin, road trips, sailing, canoeing/kayaking, ect. He was always great at traveling so it was pretty easy to take him. Im not sure he liked wheeling but he did like being with us and getting out in the woods.
Anyway, I would have reservations about drugging a dog just so you could drag him along on a wheelin trip. Thats just me so you do what feels right for you and yours.

Some dogs just don't like to travel, let alone wheel; just like people.

I wouldn't drug the dog, it just seems to accentuate the problem.
Leave the dog who can't stand wheeling home, or if on a long trip, a Kennel. If you think that separation issues will crop up, leave'm both at home or in a Kennel.

Our lab Bailey, (RIP) loved to travel. I never did take her on any wheeling trips though. We took her everywhere with us. By the time I got into wheeling, she was too old and decrepid to keep up. I'd love to have another one sometime. We'll likely get another when we get moved...lord only knows when that'll be.

657291060_m.jpg

I used to take Twinkie wheelin when she was a few years younger, she would curl up in the spare wheel with a bunch of blankets on a mild run

Wilson, our lab, puts his butt on the back seat and paws on the center console. He just leans into one seat or the other and stays put pretty well. He loves seein new places and people, marking new trees/rocks and is more than willing to eat your spare food.
willis-1.jpg

And
ha1-2.jpg

Zuki-Ron said:
Some dogs just don't like to travel, let alone wheel; just like people.

I wouldn't drug the dog, it just seems to accentuate the problem.
Leave the dog who can't stand wheeling home, or if on a long trip, a Kennel. If you think that separation issues will crop up, leave'm both at home or in a Kennel.
the problem is that bullwinkle is simply a puppy. I'm hoping that a few trips and his car sickness/anxiety will go away.
I'd rather not write him of and then never get him acclimated to riding in a Jeep.
If I could take care of the car sickness I wouldn't mind holding him, but puking in the car just isn't cool.

ZacSquatch said:
657291060_m.jpg

I used to take Twinkie wheelin when she was a few years younger, she would curl up in the spare wheel with a bunch of blankets on a mild run

Wilson, our lab, puts his butt on the back seat and paws on the center console. He just leans into one seat or the other and stays put pretty well. He loves seein new places and people, marking new trees/rocks and is more than willing to eat your spare food.
willis-1.jpg

And
ha1-2.jpg

Labs are the best! I mean...just look at that last pic. My lab we had when I was growing up/mid-late teens LOVED to ride in the Jeeps. You could pick up the keys and she'd be at the door trying to knock it down to go to the Jeep. She never went on anything over a light wheeling trail. I can't wait to get a dog soon so I can take her (it will be a her) on wheeling trips with me.

We have 4 labs, all love to ride but Wilson is the most chill.

No clue.. we were remodeling at the time that was takin so it probly some trash or building materials.

On the topic of dogs on wheeling trip....I happen to disagree with them going along.

Some dogs would be better than others of course, and it mostly depends on training and said dogs personality.

My main objection is that people who do not have dogs, are allergic, afraid, just plain don't like them, etc. should not be subjected to someones dog just because they want to attend an event. If its a quick run with your buddies...cool. But at an organized event I don't think its fair to the other people there. I also don't like the idea of the dog controlling the run...."my dog needs a break", "my dog needs to pee", "wait up, my dog just ran away", etc, etc. I do like dogs for the most parts (at least quiet calm dogs anyway), but some people have legitiment reasons not to be around dogs.

Rant over.

87manche said:
the problem is that bullwinkle is simply a puppy. I'm hoping that a few trips and his car sickness/anxiety will go away.
I'd rather not write him of and then never get him acclimated to riding in a Jeep.
If I could take care of the car sickness I wouldn't mind holding him, but puking in the car just isn't cool.

AH, I was not clear about that.
Jack <RIP> puked in the back of my hatchback when I first got him; then he proceeded to crawl under the seat. He did the whole, lay behind the drivers seat thing for years .Then we got a 23ft motor home. All of a sudden, he was cool about getting in the camper, standing on the dog house and hanging out while I raced. When I got into Jeeps, he would sit on the back seat with his feet on the transmission tunnel and hang out. I never did understand what made the change except that the MH was home when it wasn't moving.

I don't believe you are going to calm it's fears by holding it like a child, infact you may make it worse. Maybe start with small rides, like up and down the driveway when you need to move the car, or put it in the garage. Perhaps just work on something in the Jeep and let the dog do it's own thing <sniffing around and getting into things in the Jeep>. All of my dogs have played in the Jeep at one time or another. Sometimes Shadow, my current bitch, likes to just sit in the Jeep while I work on it.

JohnX said:
On the topic of dogs on wheeling trip....I happen to disagree with them going along.

Some dogs would be better than others of course, and it mostly depends on training and said dogs personality.

My main objection is that people who do not have dogs, are allergic, afraid, just plain don't like them, etc. should not be subjected to someones dog just because they want to attend an event. If its a quick run with your buddies...cool. But at an organized event I don't think its fair to the other people there. I also don't like the idea of the dog controlling the run...."my dog needs a break", "my dog needs to pee", "wait up, my dog just ran away", etc, etc. I do like dogs for the most parts (at least quiet calm dogs anyway), but some people have legitiment reasons not to be around dogs.

Rant over.

Well, see if I ever wheel with a dog hater like you! -LOL!

I have had a couple, and I really do mean a couple, of people over the years not want my dog(s) near them. By and large, outdoors types like dogs, expecially friendly and well behaved dogs. The more well behaved you can get your dog, the more likely that even the most avid dog hater will appreciate them.

In my experience, you don't find too many folks Jeeping who have alergies to animals - the woods are full of them.

...and keep the leash handy incase you run across one.

Last edited:
leave them at home or let them follow on foot behind you on the trail. i would let my lab follow me, she got some major excerise that way.

JohnX said:

Rant over.

Ha, Ha, Thats exactly why I dont like kids on wheeling trips.
Responsible dog ownership goes along way. Our dog almost always went wheelin with us but he also almost always stayed in the Jeep or on a leash until we were certain that everyone else was ok with him being around, then he got more freedom. We always made it clear to people that if they had an issue with him to let us know and we would adjust the way we do things to accommodate them if we could. Actually, we wouldnt go on a trip if the dog couldnt come along, which was an issue only once.
Long story short, we were scheduled to go wheelin/camping with a new group, we asked if the dog could come in advance, the trail leader told us that the campground had a no dog rule. We called the campground to clear up an issue about the charges and just happened to ask them about the dog and they told us that they are very dog friendly and any well behaved dog is welcome at their campground. I confronted the trail leader about that and he basically told me he lied to us because he didnt want any on the trail because they are trouble. We went on the run and we took our dog (who was absolutely no trouble). I told the trail leader that had he not lied, we wouldve stayed home but since he lied to us, screw him and the Jeep he rode in on. We wheeled with that group several times since and always took the dog and always had a great time.

I agree with you when it comes to dogs running around unsupervised on the trail. I like dogs and I have no problem with them being included but they should be under the owners control all the time.

JohnX said:

A well behaved dog won't be a bother to anyone.
If the dog isn't well behaved it's not the dogs fault, it's the owners fault and the problems should be brought to the owners attention.

Given the fact that I've wheeled with most of the people in the MWC and that I've taken Rocky previously and he's even played with a few others members dogs I don't think that will be an issue.

If someone really doesnt' like my dogs then I will keep them away from that person.

leave them at home or let them follow on foot behind you on the trail. i would let my lab follow me, she got some major excerise that way.

that really isn't an option with dachsunds, especially a puppy. You're dealing with dogs that have 3 inch legs, they just can't keep up like a larger dog.

Pee breaks and such won't be an issue, both dogs are capable of going 6-8 hours in a vehicle, when we took them to NC we didn't make any extra stops for the dogs, just our planned fuel stops.

I really was just looking for advice on how to cope with the puppy's car sickness, not a debate on whether or not I should take my dogs to Winterfest.

Our old Jack Russel had issues with car sickness, we didn't want to dope him up so we tried a few things. One way was to give him a nice, meaty bone in the back seat to keep his mind off the ride, this worked very well. We also perched him in our laps in my moms car so he had a 360 veiw and he was a whole lot more calm than being stuck in the back or in a carrier.

My weiner did great no matter what we took her in. We had her in a carrier in the back of my dads plane and he was messing around and did a lil 0-gravity... I looked back, and there she was, floating inside her kennel, just looking at me like "WTF, who's flying this thing".

There's a lot of other thing that people claim to have worked
Rubber line/bungee cord from the frame of the vehicle to the ground, gets rid of static electricity
Ginger capsules/ginger snap cookies
Lil bit of Vanilla Ice cream
Seasickness pills (dramamine)
Sugar dissolved on pets water

Last edited:
Back