• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dogs

I wont take a dog wheeling or camping in a group situation but if I go alone or just with a friend or two and they are cool with it I will bring one of our 8 dogs all of which love to go but all have their hangups. the best one for enjoying the ride and time with Dad also hates strangers and the others all love strangers along with squirls and chipmonks and "that bush just moved" situations have posed some interesting stops along the trail. Dottie my wifes favorite is the worst in the car she gets so worked up she literally has tried jumping out closed windows not because she is scared but because she likes to play and chase.

ZacSquatch said:
Our old Jack Russel had issues with car sickness, we didn't want to dope him up so we tried a few things. One way was to give him a nice, meaty bone in the back seat to keep his mind off the ride, this worked very well. We also perched him in our laps in my moms car so he had a 360 veiw and he was a whole lot more calm than being stuck in the back or in a carrier.

My weiner did great no matter what we took her in. We had her in a carrier in the back of my dads plane and he was messing around and did a lil 0-gravity... I looked back, and there she was, floating inside her kennel, just looking at me like "WTF, who's flying this thing".

There's a lot of other thing that people claim to have worked
Rubber line/bungee cord from the frame of the vehicle to the ground, gets rid of static electricity
Ginger capsules/ginger snap cookies
Lil bit of Vanilla Ice cream
Seasickness pills (dramamine)
Sugar dissolved on pets water
I hadn't considered ginger snaps, I know they work on people for motion sickness.

Looks like I'll give that a go.

My Husky loved camping/Jeepin espescially in winter snow. My Black Lab... not so much, he also got very carsick as a pup. I'm hoping to get him out this spring. Thanks for those tips.

DrMoab... beautiful Chocolate!

John B said:
My Husky loved camping/Jeepin espescially in winter snow. My Black Lab... not so much, he also got very carsick as a pup. I'm hoping to get him out this spring. Thanks for those tips.

DrMoab... beautiful Chocolate!

John, Youve camped beside us with our dog (Woody). I think you were there for the incident with Omar I described above.

John B said:
I wasnt the Trail Guide was i? :D

Dont think i remember this?

You werent the guide, Omar was. Dirty Dozens, Red Ridge, frogs croaking and Linyee snoring.
Im pretty sure you, your boy and one of his friends camped right beside us. Well its been a few years, as you get older the memory is the second thing to go ;)

Edit: Wait, look what I found. I cant find you but Im pretty sure you're there. Sorry if Im thinking of another John.
ddgroup.jpg

Last edited:
:laugh3: :roflmao:

I remember now!! Wow, Linyee snoring! That was brutal! Their tent shook and the ground vibrated! Not much sleep that night...

Gary's now 20, working at UPS, part time at local Community College. His bud Steven is going to Penn State.

I'm the handsome one next to your favorite trailguide, Steve in orange T and Gary in white T. Would you believe all my hair grew back? :laugh3:

Your dogs were well behaved, i'd share the trail with ya'll again anytime. :cheers: NAC-Fest?

=John BI'm the handsome one next to your favorite trailguide, Steve in orange T and Gary in white T. Would you believe all my hair grew back? :laugh3:
Oh yes, there you are. I couldnt pick you out without a hat on.
Those were the good ole days. Its sad to think that we almost didnt go because of the dog issue, but its all good now.

My main objection is that people who do not have dogs, are allergic, afraid, just plain don't like them, etc. should not be subjected to someones dog just because they want to attend an event. If its a quick run with your buddies...cool. But at an organized event I don't think its fair to the other people there. I also don't like the idea of the dog controlling the run...."my dog needs a break", "my dog needs to pee", "wait up, my dog just ran away", etc, etc. I do like dogs for the most parts (at least quiet calm dogs anyway), but some people have legitiment reasons not to be around dogs.

Rant over.

:firedevil
Sorry, I was reading this, and once I saw this, my flame thrower just ignited it's self.
I agree that there are some rambunctious dogs out there, but...
Point one: I don't like kids, I am allergic to them, and I am afraid of them, that is why I don't have any. I do, however have dogs, I don't take mine anywhere, firstly, because I am a responsible dog owner, and I don't want some redneck to run over my dog. Secondly, because my dogs aren't around kids, and I cannot predict what my dogs would do, if provoked by a little bastard kid.
Point two: I don't think that an off-road park is ANY place for kids, but look around, they are there, moreover, organized events should also be off-limits to kids, but I am sure they are not. Profanity, drinking, whatever else, but I guess if you are a great parent, then I guess these things shouldn't bother your kids. Reciprocal consideration should be given if you are going to bitch about dogs, or taking dogs places.
:firedevil
Yes, kids are people, but nine times out of ten, a dog will be more well behaved then a kid

Sure, I will get flamed about the kids comments, but oh well, everyone can agree to dissagree.

Gerr said:
try short trips to get it use to the motion of being in a car.
I've been trying to desensitize him to the car's motion for a month.
short trips around town. he doesn't freak out or anythihg, just starts to drool, and then you have a few minutes before he vomits.

I didn't come and update this.

I tossed both of the dogs on the flat floor of the XJ and we rode all weekend.
No more issues.
I guess it was a puppy thing. They slept the entire time we were on the White trail.

87manche said:
I didn't come and update this.

I tossed both of the dogs on the flat floor of the XJ and we rode all weekend.
No more issues.
I guess it was a puppy thing. They slept the entire time we were on the White trail.

They probably only get scared when you drive.

My lab, Rocky, loves getting in the Jeep. He knows we are going to the land of pizza on the ground and slow rabbits. I inherited him from my little brother when he was a little over 3YO. I visited my folks a couple of years ago and decided to take ROcky to the beach about 80 miles up the 1. I put the seats down to keep him in the cab, and I was driving fast(new truck) and he loved it! He got super excited about going fast and all the turns. So, when my family moved to Alabama, they didn't think they could keep him, so I got him. Best dog I've ever had. Normally, I kick him out of the Jeep and keep on driving up/over whatever I'm on. He keeps me in sight, which is pretty easy to do out here, comes back for water, then heads back out. During the summer, I worry about him having heat related issues, so our outings are early(5am) morning to 11-12. Yep, just little trips for me. Thankfully, there are lots of trails out the back door.

Personally, I would have named him Mr. Wiggles, due to his hip displacia. Unfortunately, we caught that too late for surgery.

I can only hope to find a couple more like him.

Bubba Dolphin said:
He keeps me in sight, which is pretty easy to do out here, comes back for water, then heads back out. During the summer, I worry about him having heat related issues.
Sounds like my first dog Nikki. Except we were "camping" at my aunt and uncle's cabin in the woods of NY, near the Finger Lakes, Keuka Lake I believe. She'd run around all day, chasin rabbits and squirrels, come check on us every once in a while, chase us when we went hiking and exploring, and be back before sunset.

Bubba Dolphin said:
Personally, I would have named him Mr. Wiggles, due to his hip displacia. Unfortunately, we caught that too late for surgery.

I can only hope to find a couple more like him.
Also sounds very much like our Nikki. She was a Lab/Terrier/Husky mix. The oily coat of a lab, face of a terrier, just bigger, and hind end of a husky. She was a very strong dog. She was a puppy even at 13yrs old, then her hip went out. We gave ger a week, but she wasn't improving, and in a lot of pain so we had her put down.

This thread made my day! Great pictures and comments. I love dogs (I have 2 black labs, female (Ravin), and male (Max)), and I actually prefer dogs to people. lol.

The kid comments were hilarious and had to clean the coffee i spewed off my keyboard! -B

I am gonna take Kosmo with me this year to see how he does. I am just afraid of the idiots on dirt biles at haspin acres. He does great without a leash but i guess i will take his leash

Back