• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moparmans rear bumper build

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking at rear bumpers for my 1999 XJ. They run about $500+ shipped for a cutnfold bumper with a hitch and proper mounting(I really like dirtbounds Mohave). But, it's not in the budget, so I'm going to attempt to make my own with ideas from other build threads on NAXJA.

Main points:
Can tow the 5k rating from factory. (I have hellwigs on leafs)
Tucked up close
Cut and fold sides
Solid d-ring mounts
SIMPLE.

Here's what I have so far. I've built the driver side frame mount, less the holes drilled/nuts welded, plate welded on for 4 rear bolts. I used 2x3 3/16 at 38inches long. Cut that in half for 2 19inch long sections. In the pictures below, you can see the dimensions. I plan on using a larger piece in the center, probably 4x4 3/16th. Then have the same 4x4 on outsides angled up to 1inch, where I will put on the 1x? for the cutnfold. I plan on moving the mounting screws for the gas filler neck to the side, from the bottom, which is why there is a cutout on the mount. Here's some pics.

Crappy old nut strips

Off to a solid start. Question: what is that additional notch for?

so the repositioned gas filler neck cover screws don't end up hitting the mount. that's the area I will be drilling them into the uniframe.

Got a little more done today. Got the passenger side mount made, less the holes drilled and nuts welded. there is a 3/16th piece of steel welded on the bottom of the passenger side channel, about 6-7 inches in, that is kind of in the way.. its only welded on in a small spot. I tried hitting it with the BFH but its not budging. I might just weld washers under the mount to make it even, if I cant get that stupid thing out. Also got the holes drilled and half the nuts welded on the driver side. Driver side is looking good, but I might have to cut out some metal to access the nuts to burn them in.

there is a 3/16th piece of steel welded on the bottom of the passenger side channel, about 6-7 inches in, that is kind of in the way.. its only welded on in a small spot. I tried hitting it with the BFH but its not budging. I might just weld washers under the mount to make it even, if I cant get that stupid thing out.

I've notched the square tube insert before: (Also note the holes for welding that nut in)

8550744772_f32ed03495_c.jpg

But you may have clearance issues when installing the bumper depending on how you build your cut-n-fold sliders (I did last time...)

You can remove that piece but cutting the "frame" from the underside at the weld, then patch it back up. Or you can use a Dremel with the flex adapter to get in there and wear it down to the point the BFH & Chisel will finish it off - that's the route I took last go around:

8629280200_90557ce671_c.jpg

The back side is welded also, but once the chisel is under it you can get it to break off with some back and forth movement.

Last edited:
That Dremel attachment looks like it would work alright. Since it's welded on both sides, I'm going to try to get my die grinder underneath it and cut it length-wise enough to pop it out, then weld it back up.

I've done the 2x4 right over that piece with no issues. I've also just cut that section of the rail out with no issues, I never even patched it. Also, why didn't you cut trim down the shackle bolt end instead of cutting the mount to fit around it?

I've done the 2x4 right over that piece with no issues. I've also just cut that section of the rail out with no issues, I never even patched it. Also, why didn't you cut trim down the shackle bolt end instead of cutting the mount to fit around it?

I wouldn't be able to weld the nuts inside if I didn't open it up. Kind of "killed 2 birds with one stone" kinda thing. I'm sure I wouldn't run into any real issues with leaving that piece of metal in there, it would just make the rest of the install easier.

I plan on getting back on the bumper this weekend. should be able to get the 4x4 mounted with the hitch tube, Possibly the sides as well.

Back