• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gratuitous Lack Of Moderation - A little stroker build

All of my AMC XJ's have been titled as Station Wagon.

All of my Chrysler ones have been titled as Sport Utility.

My 89 is a station wagon and my 96 not but, oddly enough, I seem to recall my dad's 99 says station wagon.

Russ installs the hardware with what he calls 'peanut butter' which is a compound specifically to avoid galling the aluminium threads on the head.
20190309_170612-me.jpg

Since you have a aluminum head, I'm curious why you didn't go with studs?

I asked Russ about it. He said that we are a LONG ways off from needing them at this compression, that they are more trouble and make it near impossible to R&R the head in the car. Several downsides, no upsides.

I had offered to buy stud kits for both the head and mains, but he was pretty insistent.

Not head studs, rocker arm studs!
P1080515_zpsy6cfykns.jpg

P1080520_zpsjbqdlveo.jpg

Oh. I have no answer there. There's probably just no benefit and he doesn't want to do the extra work.

The benefit is not screwing and torquing on aluminum!

Here in VA, they want you to title any SUV as a station wagon.....the logic is you can't stack a load higher than the roof like you can a pick up truck.

The problem with that is, as soon as you do, they can ( and will) ticket you for bumper height, as no station wagon I am aware of meets the required weight limits to have a bumper higher than about 20" above the ground.

Most SUVs back then were well above that, especially if 4WD.

My 79 Ramcharger (see avatar pic), when it still had the stock top on it, was sitting on 38" ground hawgs.
They wanted me to register it as a station wagon. I explained the problem, and we agreed to title it as "Ramcharger".

Had a friend who got a ticket for bumper height in a stock bronco (no lift) on 31's. It was registered as a station wagon. I told him to get it registered as a Bronco instead of station wagon, which he did, and the judge threw the ticket out.

I know the cowl on my 88 & 96 both say truck.....but VA won't let me register them as such.

Not to mention he's working around my schedule on it so that I can document it for Naxja. He only keeps two engine stands in the shop and I've had one of them tied up for 6 weeks.

Not to mention he's working around my schedule on it so that I can document it for Naxja. He only keeps two engine stands in the shop and I've had one of them tied up for 6 weeks.

You should have stolen that one that we just bought for my motor

If Russ would clear out the backyard and garage of unused stock parts and projects, albeit some great projects, he could create a ton of room.

That wouldn't change the amount of room in his shop, and having more room in the shop wouldnt' do much to help production.

What he really needs is an assistant who can run errands, clean parts and handle shipping. We've been discussing some options.

Back