NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 14th, 2019, 16:32
NAXJA Forum User

A couple mod questions

I have a couple things Iím curious about but each on their own is not enough to warrnt a whole thread. So I figured I would put them all together.
1st question. Is there a data buss I can tap in a 96xj? I have installed an overhead console from a 97? Zj and it works well enough but I would like if I could get data from the ecu to show trip mileage, mpg, miles to empty etc. I have read the overhead console write up and it has lead me to believe there is a buss somewhere I can tap but I donít know where that is.
2nd question. What degree shim do I need for a 4.5 inch lift and no crosmember drop? I am removing the drop and I need a new shim I believe.
Lastly. Does anybody know if itís legal in mass to delete the tail pipe and dump the exhaust right out the muffler before the rear axle.

Any help on any of these would be awesome thanks!
Old March 14th, 2019, 16:49
NAXJA Forum User

Re: A couple mod questions

I just realized that I posted this in OEM rather than modified. Face palm. Can someone give me hand getting this moved please?
Old March 15th, 2019, 08:00
NAXJA Forum User

According to the Mitchell wiring diagram I looked, the '96 does have a data bus, but it runs directly to the OBD II port and nothing else. I wouldn't be surprised if a factory '96 PCM doesn't even have the functionality you're looking for to begin with.

As far as getting rid of the tailpipe behind the muffler, legal or not, I wouldn't do it. Did it on my '96 (got rear-ended. Jeep still ran and drove but the tailpipe was crimped and trashed, so I just cut it off) and the new exit right from the muffler ended up being right next to the U-joint for the rear diff. A professor of mine (who's been an ASE-certified master mechanic since 1976) saw that and asked in a "you-know-better" sort of way if I thought dumping all that exhaust heat right next to the U-joint was the best thing for the grease in it. I agreed it wasn't, but also told him I planned on replacing the entire exhaust with a performance system anyways.
Old March 21st, 2019, 06:17
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the info. I will try tapping the buss at the port, if I donít get any readings than oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. As for the exhaust, that is an excellent point I had not thought of. Come to think of it itís probanlt not great for the temperature of the diff either.
Old March 21st, 2019, 12:45
NAXJA Forum User

A couple mod questions

More than temperature is increased possibility of getting fumes inside the vehicle especially while stopped in traffic. A couple guys got killed from that here a few years ago. They had an old Bronco II and got high centered off road on a cold night. They decided to sleep in the Bronco a few hours until the sun came up. The exhaust was junk and they left it running. They never woke up.
Old March 21st, 2019, 20:40
NAXJA Forum User

Another excellent point. Considering how, caugh caugh, “air tight” or “waterproof” my xj is it now sounds like a very bad idea. Thank you for the input.
Old March 22nd, 2019, 05:00
NAXJA Member

A couple mod questions

Yep exhaust has to dump beyond passenger area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old March 22nd, 2019, 07:43
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXJ96 View Post
I just realized that I posted this in OEM rather than modified. Face palm. Can someone give me hand getting this moved please?

Done. Just noticed the request.

In the future you can hit the ! icon at the top of a post and report it with that request so that we get notified.
Old March 22nd, 2019, 15:11
NAXJA Forum User

Thank you. I was not sure if that was proper use of the ! Button