• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel injector usable life span

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 is almost at 200k and I am wondering when people start seeing issues with their fuel injectors. This thing has been used hard and not maintained very well (previous owners) so I'm just trying avoid issues on long trips coming up. Does it make sense to pull the rail and check the spray pattern, wait for one of them to fail, or just splurge on some new ones since they aren't all that expensive (and can upgrade)? I have a 62mm TB and larger downpipe/exhaust for reference.

I've never had one fail, but most of my rigs have been under 175k.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

There is no common failure point as they all see different uses and maintenance, they just go when they go!

Never had one fail, but I did replace mine with the four holes (no discernable difference). If they fail outright the engine will throw a code, and the 4.0 can run on 4 cyclinders or less (I've heard rumors of a guy limping home on 2). Your injectors won't fail multiply unless they're hit by lightning or something, so I'd just drive it until you get a failure and then replace with a flow matched set.

I went the "splurge" route first getting some Ford ones off ebay to replace my single hole stock ones on my Renix. Seemed to make a slight difference originally. I kept all of my original injectors.

Fast forward 15 years later, been having alot of recurring smog test failures. Since Renix doesn't "throw codes" I decided to do a major tune up. This included, cleaning my old injectors and replacing the orings and screens. So the old ones are back in. Since I did a lot of other things to the old heap, it runs much better and passed smog. Can't say if the FI made any difference.

So if you can find a deal, pick up a set. Then wait until some other service is needed or you have a hard failure.

Here's my thread from June.

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1159050

+284,000 miles on my 1998 injectors, gas mpg's normal. Two were cracked and replaced with used ones from the junkyard.

If you are worried, carry a handful of spares.

"Upgraded" injectors are not worth the cost.

Fair enough. Sounds like having a spare or two rolling around in the tool box isn't a horrible idea.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Back