• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ

amarine1

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there. I'm a new member. I have been working on it for 8 months, and it is about ready to go to Moab.

Small problem. Everything was running fine, until yesterday. The previous owner had installed a cheap JVC CD stereo and it truly sucked (but it worked). So, I wanted to install a stock Chrysler CD/Cassette stereo as they work great (sound good) & can handle the jostling of rock crawling.

Yesterday, I uninstalled the JVC and I went to install the stock stereo (that I got from a Junk Yard). I know it works, but when I went to turn it on.... nothing. Weird.

And then all of a sudden, my Instrument Cluster stopped working (all warnings show up, but the gauges themselves don't move any needles & no odometer).

I've checked the fuses on the internal fuse box (on the right footwell) and the fuses checked out fine. I've read on other XJ forums that there might be an issue with the bus connectors needing to be cleaned. I went to the junk yard and picked up not just one instrument cluster, but two.

When I got home, I went to install it, and nothing / nada / nyet.

I am open to any and all ideas ya'll may have (or any link to a possible solution).

1. 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4.

2. 4.0 Inline6 w/ A/C

3. Automatic Transmission with 2H, 4H & 4L transfer case

4. Rockers installed both front and back.

5. 3 inch lift and 32's.

6. I have replaced the interior seats (with the stronger Limited cloth seats), changed the headliner, did a complete tune-up, replaced all fluids, added R134a to the A/C. New exhaust. No death wobble & runs smoothly. 249,000 miles (excellent compression).

The symptoms may or may not be related.

Does the engine run while the instrument cluster has the symptoms ?

While cluster has the symptoms, whack the dashboard right over the instrument cluster with the palm of your hand. If the cluster starts to work right, the connections need cleaning.

Failure of the driver door and tailgate wire harness is very common. Failure often lead to 12 volts positive shorted to ground, and/or 12 volts positive shorted to the speaker wire causing most head units to go into protect mode. Unplug the drivers door wire harness as a simple diagnostic. If that cures the stereo no-go or the cluster, repair the driver door broken wires in the rubber boot.

Interesting.

So, I can drive the XJ with no problems/issues. The Instrument Cluster lights up when the lights are on, and all of the warnings plus the flasher work on the cluster. I have smacked the top of the cluster/dash board multiple times, no joy. The lights on the stereo also work when I turn the lights on, but no power to the stereo itself.

Given that the junk JVC stereo probably didn't have a "protect mode" (and only one speaker was working), it is possible that a wire is definitely grounding as all of this happened as soon as I plugged the stock stereo in.

At least, I now have an idea in how to move forward. Thanks. :)

Oh, and I also get the joy of taking off the front headlights in order to release the hood latches (the hood is now stuck in place, most likely the "bell" adapter that the hood latch is connected to is frozen in place due to rust).

Well, it is 2 am and I have finally finished resolving the issues with myXJ. I took off the front headlights and light cans (to gain access to the hood latches behind them). 15 minutes later, I was successful (the hood is open). So, I then went to the IOD fuse again & just replaced it with a new one. And now everything inside works again (the instrument cluster gauges, the stereo, the interior lights, & the sun visor mirror lights). It is the 2nd time I am replacing the IOD fuse, but it is holding with no issues now (I did a lot of cleaning up grounds around the XJ). The replacement instrument cluster has 177k miles on it (the miles are not in the PCM like newer Chryslers ie: most 2001-2008 models), so that sucks, But my XJ actually has 249k miles. I guess I will have to live with it ......

I installed the replacement stereo (the stock AM/FM Cassette unit) as the POS JVC stereo that the previous owner put in sucked huge. I wanted to install the upgraded AM/FM/CD/Cassette, but the one from the J/Y does not show the frequency of the stereo... so I will be going back to the J/Y tomorrow to try & find another one (they are in most 1995-2000 Chryslers & there are plenty of them in the yard). I really want to have the CD/Cassette options (I also use a Bluetooth power module that broadcasts in FM stereo.... so I can get my phone to play on the stereo on 88.7 fm allowing google maps/streaming & hands free calls). I'll have to live with the simpler stereo for another couple of weeks, but that is ok (as it sounds great).

I installed/replaced a A/C High pressure switch... so I am hoping to fill the system with R134a tomorrow & see the A/C compressor engage.

The headliner is still looking good (replaced by the previous owner), and since I have a electric sunroof - I have to be careful where to put the dome light. The final touches were replacing the stock headlights with LED headlights..... and installing a "white" grill & headlight cover from a J/Y XL onto mine (it looks interesting given the red body).

Last but not least... the hood latch cable now works correctly with the latch/cable bell , but I apparently did not install the latches correctly as the hood won't stay closed. So, tomorrow, its back to adjusting the latches (by removing the lights). She is purring like a kitten and is driving smooth (and with these last minor adjustments, I'll be ready to take the XJ to Starved Rock state park within the next 2 weeks). I really want to try out my new rockers & new 32's on some hills/trails.

Back