• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan Replacement - Dorman? TYC 620560?

kshbaja

NAXJA Forum User
My electric fan is in the process of destroying itself. Looking for a replacement. I found a couple online that both had decent reviews. Anyone have any recent experience with the Dorman or TYC options?

I found a post in my search mentioning the Dorman might require a connector adapter.

Year? I got the 87 and 89 XJ jeep e-fans on Amazon prime delivered free for about $42 each 2-3 months ago. They are awesome. Not sure what year the new E-fan was used, 96 97?

Skip the Dorman. The adapter connector is a serious weak link and ended in dismal failure on my 97.

The old fan in my '00 XJ is a Dorman 620-001. It came with the car when I bought it used about two months ago, so I have no idea how old the Dorman is. It was working fine, but wanted to make sure the cooling system is in top shape. Before removing the Dorman, I airflow tested it with my anemometer and based on the swept area, I got 780 cfm at 13.3 V. Installed the TYC, and following the same approach, I got 1150 cfm which is just a bit lower than the 1250 CFM rating. So the TYC greatly outflows the Dorman when the fan is running. It could be argued that a new Dorman fan would flow better than my old one, but I doubt it. The Dorman that came in my XJ looks and works 100% fine.

The potential drawback of the TYC is that the swept area is 25% lower than the Dorman, so when the fan is not running, air will not flow through it as easily as the Dorman. This may cause the radiator to be less efficient when driving down the road below the electric fan enable temperature (about 220F). I'll report back after I get a few miles on the TYC.

Back