• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sticking Calipers on Teraflex disc conversion kit?

JeremyW

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks. Yes, I searched before posting; I only found one slight mention of my problem.

Just installed the teraflex rear disc conversion kit on my 97 XJ with the 8.25 axle. Everything went fine, put everything back together, bled brakes, took for a quick test drive, and no problems.

Took it out later in the day and drove 30 miles on the freeway. Got out of the jeep and it smelled like burning brakes. Left rear rotor was pretty damn hot (not quite red though) and there was an obvious burn/wear mark on it (brand new rotor!)

Seems like the left rear caliper is stuck. Anyone else have this problem?

Other info:
- The right rear caliper is fine.

- Parking brake cable is definitely not causing the burning smell; I can see the wear mark on the outside of the rotor, so I know its the caliper/pads. Parking brake cable is even a bit loose at this point; need to pull handle all the way up to prevent jeep from rolling when jeep is idling in Drive or Reverse.

- My jeep has the stock proportioning valve. I did a lot of reading and there are various reports both ways for keeping or swapping. I figured I'd keep the stock one for now. I assume if there was a problem with too much pressure being sent to the rear brakes that BOTH the left and right would display a problem, not just one! Am I crazy ? Did I get a crappy left caliper from Teraflex?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

I found the problem!!

Thanks for the suggestion John. Ok, turns out I didnt want to take the time to install the kit myself, so I took it to a 4 wheel fab shop for them to do the work. I noticed the burning smell when I got it home.

The whole point of paying someone else to do the work was so that I didnt have to mess around with anything. ......so.......

took both wheels off this afternoon to compare the amount of slide from each caliper. the right side (which is fine) had some play back and forth. the left side (burnt rotor) had practically none.

I went to work on the left caliper. I took the pads out, made sure the piston would actually move (both directions), then started installing everything again. Turns out that the guy who did the work installed two different length caliper bolts. One was good and one was way too long! When in the fully tight position, it was pushing on the inner pad!!

I'll go get a new bolt tomorrow and re-bleed that caliper. Frustrating, but I guess I get what I paid for, huh? Hope this post might help someone in the future. People on this board are great and always helpful! Thanks.

Back