• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard to find OEM parts

brademerick

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 1999 Cherokee XJ and I need a proportioning valve for the brakes. The dealer has one for $106 and I was hoping to find one for less money. I tried NAPA, Carquest, O'Reiley's, Auto Zone, and Advance Auto but none of them carry it. I've also looked at several online compnaies but no one seems to carry it. Has any one got any ideas?

I've got a 1999 Cherokee XJ and I need a proportioning valve for the brakes. The dealer has one for $106 and I was hoping to find one for less money. I tried NAPA, Carquest, O'Reiley's, Auto Zone, and Advance Auto but none of them carry it. I've also looked at several online compnaies but no one seems to carry it. Has any one got any ideas?

You could probably get an adjustable prop valve cheaper
OR
go to a junk yard and pull one.

What is wrong with yours?

You could probably get an adjustable prop valve cheaper
OR
go to a junk yard and pull one.

What is wrong with yours?

Agree, salvage yard or a universal adjustable one. Google adjustable proportioning valve.

I've never seen one go bad, honestly - unless you put dot5 in it and screwed up the seals, you can probably just clean it out and reassemble.

Last summer, with all the relatively low mileage 'Clunker' XJs showing up at Harry's, we grabbed a few booster/MC/prop valve combos, and I opened up a prop valve, just to see what was in it. Seems as though just the slide to activate the warning switch, and some crud, which I guess could cover a port, and cause a malfunction. Clean it out, and all should be good.

My son recently purchased a 'power bleeder'. I tried it once, and my first reaction to it was 'Where have you been all my life!'. No more waiting for an assistant to come home. Gives great pedal feel. These ought to be on everyone's tool list.

My son recently purchased a 'power bleeder'. I tried it once, and my first reaction to it was 'Where have you been all my life!'. No more waiting for an assistant to come home. Gives great pedal feel. These ought to be on everyone's tool list.

Speed Bleeders rule!

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Joe- I've used the one-man bleeder ferrules, but unfortunately, they were Dorman 'HELP' items, and one winter of PennDOT spraying their Magic Elixir on the highways before snow rendered them useless. They galled up as if they were aluminum. The piece I'm referring to is a PowerBleeder from motiveproducts.com. Basically a garden sprayer with all the right fittings. Does a great job, and you can do it by yourself.

LOL! Tunnel vision--I forget some people live where things RUST!

Pressure bleeders are cool, and there were a lot of times over the years I could have used one when working alone, but availability and price didn't make sense compared to gravity/vacuum/speed bleeders.

Speedbleeders are very robust and I've had no problems with mine on the salty NJ roads. I've had them on one of my cars for about 6 years now and they have produced the best results in terms of pedal feel of any brake bleeding method I've tried - including a vacuum pump and two-man bleeding operation. Quickest brake bleeding I've ever done, too.

Speed bleeders are not power bleeders. They're a spring loaded check valve. BTW, they don't work if there's significant air bubbles in the line.

Power bleeders...... whether by vacuum, or by pressure, yah. VERY useful.

Back