• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better Door Seals For Early XJ

tempest411

NAXJA Forum User
Just a quick FYI...I installed a new door seal about a month ago and was very disappointed with how it fit. It was so thick the interior trim wouldn't fit over it, and I had to slam the bejeezus out of the door to get it to close. I don't want to poo-poo the manufacturer, but I will say their name rhymes with 'frown', which is what I had after installing it. I knew I couldn't leave it as it was. To replace it, I ordered a seal from Fairchild Automotive, D3023. IT fit perfect! The trim fits properly, the door closes fine. Just as it should be.

That is all..

Did you just replace one or all of them?
And which door?
Was curious and went to look them up for my '00 XJ.
Noticing that one part number fits left or right and front or back.
So I am guessing you cut the length down for the back doors?

I only did the front driver's side door. It's the only one that had been beat up and was in need of replacement. The door seal is the same all 'round. You only need to trim the length down. I have read that the later Cherokees had thicker seals than the earlier ones, but I don't know the specifics. I don't know how the manufacturer/vendor of the first seal I bought thought they'd work for the early models. Surely I wasn't the first guy to buy them for a mid to late 80s version.

Back