• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Early Model Power Seat Cracked - Help!

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Fellas, trying to repair the drivers seat in a 1988 Limited for my Father.

- Power seats
- Leather in great condition
- One huge crack in the frame visible

Question is how do I remove the bottom cushion (to look for other cracks)?

I watched a video (of a 98 XJ) which called for removing the back of the seat. But I'm not sure if that's necessary and cannot find the bolts under the leather. Perhaps they changed the design through the years.

Any help appreciated.

JLtECJ

JLtGEv

JLtW2p

JLtM4R

Where in Colorado are you located? I have a full seat frame with me in Utah and I am heading home this weekend and can throw it in. I am located in Loveland, CO, up by Ft. Collins.

After further looking at the pix, the broken parts are not in the seat frame, but rather the seat base. I have a fully functioning seat base but it is for the passenger side. I have modified my drivers seat base several times and it has also broken before. I just welded and braced it up and all is fine.

The seat bottom is held on with four metric 13mm head screws. Then you remove an elastic strap that runs around the seat frame in the back. I also have a good seat bottom but it is also for the passenger side and is gray fabric. It will work but there an elastic strap made to hold the seat belt that will be on the wrong side, but that has never bothered me.

Last edited:
You should be able to remove the cushion to make that repair. I live in Golden, I can weld that "stuff!"

Back