• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cup holder?

NWDave

NAXJA Forum User
Basic need here. Got a 1990 XJ 5 speed daily driver, and I need a cup holder. The nice young lady at my local coffee stand told me her boyfriend got one from someone on the NAXJA site.

The first cup holder shown is a POS! It is a spill waiting to happen and almost impossible for someone with large hands like myself to set the "E" brake. I had one and threw it in the trash.

I like the bar bouys but finding a place to mount them is a PITA!

I bought some cheap Advance Auto cup holders and mounted them to the center vent. They hold a cup of coffee well and even a medium sized fountain drink but will not hold a 20oz bottle or large drink. I don't know if they will work with your stick shift or not, my 90 is a auto.

Also, in the summer with the AC on it keeps my drink cold, in the winter with the heat on it keeps my coffee warm.

cupholderstl9.jpg

Good, I hate Pepsi! I've seen a cup holder that sits on the right side of the shifter, towards the passenger seat, it held 2 cups inline. It looked like it was part of the center console, as in molded in, possible on a newer model XJ. The e-brake cover cup holder would cause me to hit my elbow on the drinks.

scottmcneal said:
I have one of these, my pepsi can doesn't fit right, so you know your beer won't fit at all
I took a hole saw to mine.. little creativity with some wiremesh and epoxy makes for a nice cupholder..

to the above.. i believe that was a dealer option.. i've seen em on all year jeeps. i've heard they break somewhat easy thou

Veeb0rg said:
I took a hole saw to mine.. little creativity with some wiremesh and epoxy makes for a nice cupholder..

to the above.. i believe that was a dealer option.. i've seen em on all year jeeps. i've heard they break somewhat easy thou

They don't break, but they pop off easy. A dry wall screw through the top takes care of that. JIM.

I have the e-brake holder, it does fine for me - but I don't use the e-brake. And it broke the latch on the console arm rest from the extra thickness.

Found it in a salvage yard, it does look like the factory really never considered the problem very well.

NWDave said:
Good, I hate Pepsi! I've seen a cup holder that sits on the right side of the shifter, towards the passenger seat, it held 2 cups inline. It looked like it was part of the center console, as in molded in, possible on a newer model XJ. The e-brake cover cup holder would cause me to hit my elbow on the drinks.

I have one of those in my 89. I found it at the j/y in a 94 or 95 XJ. It clips under the shifter bezel and into the side if the centerconsole. It works very well. It doesnt fit a 20oz bottle but cans fit great as do most fastfood cups.

Yeah, my '96 has one. I wish bottles fit, but it does do a real good job with cans. I like it well enough, but I tend to drive alone. It takes up a lot of leg room for the passenger, and it does pop off really easily, and the little tab that holds it in place vertically is really sensitive to damage. My wife drops it all the time, and its getting more and more broken. But compared to all the other options I've ever seen for an XJ, I like it the best. There's just not a lot of room in that area on 'em!

Fair warning though, if you put two of the BK gigantic bigger-than-your-bladder cups into it, it will fall, spilling them all over the floor. They need to post the weight restriction on it!

magimerlin said:
I have one of those in my 89. I found it at the j/y in a 94 or 95 XJ. It clips under the shifter bezel and into the side if the centerconsole. It works very well. It doesnt fit a 20oz bottle but cans fit great as do most fastfood cups.

Back