• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 front rear

xjjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
since my 8.8 full floater rear swap is almost done it's time to do a front rear to put under my xj. dana-44 sounds good but not a direct bolt-in unless i buy a currie or something. since i have a spare 8.8 from a exploder i'm thinking of cutting the tubes out of it, retubing it, welding dana 44 C
knuckles onto the tubes, bolting on chevy 6-lug knuckles,brakes, installing a locker of some sort and a IFS gear set. why you ask, since i would have to cut a dana 44 up to put under, weld brackets and so on, i should do it
to a 8.8 since it is stronger than a 44. any input ?

scot

I've heard lots of threads on 8.8 vs. d44. Looking at specs, the 8.8 looks to be actually a touch stronger...but I'm sure some disagree. Thats on paper...in real life anything goes!

As for a 8.8 Front...I wouldn't bother. I've got a friend running 37's on his TJ, 8.8 rear / d30 front. D30 is stock but ARB'ed and 4.56s. He wheels it hard, even been on the new Carnage Canyon here in Colorado (you may have seen it in JP mag). Never broke an axle...just steering! He's going to say screw the d44 and use his cash for the super 30.
I'd say go that route! You'll save a lot of cash.

OR....buy a D44 housing that was made for a Rubicon! I know somewhere was selling them for $600. Thats a bolt on option for you. You are supposed to be able to use some of the D30 parts on that.

-Mike

Id just track down the old faitful ford HP 44r and work from there. Its a tought set up and it simpily work. And by the way that FF 8.8 is sweet that you did. The whole 8.8 vs 44 is well over doneThe damg Ra thatr started this whole thing hada good reason for it and it works well but letsfacew it you either can find a 4 rear for an xj or you just get an 8.8 withc does work well but the since the smalll details of a few numbers that web wheeler like to fight over make no damn diffrence on the trail. eiter your ging to break the 44 or 8.8 or yopu going to 60s and thas it. Oh ya you do get dicks withthe 8.8 so it is a little better there.

congradulations! with that 8.8,you have officially made your jeep into a MUT. what next a 10 bolt? or toyota axles? :D

dont bother with the 8.8 front.... you will get hung up the first rock your front smells

HP44 all the way. might cost you a bit, but well worth the money.

The 8.8 standard spiral will be weaker in a front application than a reverse spiral 44, going forward.

I wouldn't mess with re-tubing the 8.8, the tubes are larger than the openings in the end forgings of a 44. They would slip ritght into 60 end forgings, however! :D

CRASH

REDXJ4FUN said:
Oh ya you do get dicks withthe 8.8 so it is a little better there.

Gotta love those 8.8 dicks.

accually jeeps really are mutts already!!! their ignition used to be chevy stuff! and there tranny's are toyatoa!

stoney

I was thinking what Andy was thinking, go the 8.8/ d60 route, for something new.

I don't know what issues you would have with custom axles though especilaly if you went to an 44/8.8 combo.

Back