• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running Hot Constently

BIG-G

NAXJA Forum User
OK, i know these motors are known for running hot so i have upgraded everything i can think of to make it run cool and NOTHING has changed!!!

Now when i mean hot, i mean HOT, 250 degrees at highway speeds and in the red in stop and go.

I have put in a new radiator, hesco hi flow pump, hesco bored out thermostat, 160 degree thermostat, new temp sensor, new relays, override fan, & flushed the system with new 60/40 coolant.

So can anyone make sence of what else can be making my XJ run this hot ALL the time???????

Is it possible you're running too lean?

Well how about this, does it actually boil over? If not then maybe your guage or sending unit is bad.

What year is this? the early closed system is very hard to get all the air out of.

Were there any other modifications that you did just before this started to happen?

What's the compression of all 6 cylinders? maybe blown head gasket.

Also do a search using my name, there's about 4 pages of info dealing with my overheating problem.

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
Well how about this, does it actually boil over? If not then maybe your guage or sending unit is bad.

What year is this? the early closed system is very hard to get all the air out of.

Were there any other modifications that you did just before this started to happen?

What's the compression of all 6 cylinders? maybe blown head gasket.

Also do a search using my name, there's about 4 pages of info dealing with my overheating problem.

Dingo

No boiling over...

it started overheating before i touched the motor, then put in hescos water pump, t-housing, 160 degree thermostat, new temp sensor, new relays, elec fan works 100%

I didnt run a compression test and thats a good idea

Is there anyway to check if your stock radiator is restricting flow???

Nice double post.

See my answer in the other forum.

You say you replaced the radiator. Did you upgrade to a three row? That solved my problem but mine had never gotten to 250. I was at 225-230 never as hot as yours.

Dumb question ,but is the thermo in backwards? also you can have a competent radiator shop flow test the radiator. Thats my guess. My 95 was doing the same until I had it rodded. It was only 30K /2 yrs old. Now it never see`s over 210 as of yet and its 90s here. I have a 3 row also.

I dont think Modine offers a 3 row. Theory is 3 row is bad beacuse the passes are so small they tend to plug up to easy. The 2 row 3 row opinions and arguments will go on forever. Either 2 or 3 ,if everything is in good cond you should have no problems.

Back