• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump?

SDxjsport

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ Sport and to start it I have to crank it over for 7-8 seconds. I leave it on the on position for a couple of seconds before starting but this doesn't help much. Any ideas on what my problem is?

i just got done fixing this problem in my 90 xj i did a full tune up still no help mine was cranking sometimes for 10 sec. and i decided for 65 bucks i'll just change the pump and that did the trick starts great now.

i dont know how the newer jeeps are but i didn't have to drop the tank and the only problem i had was getting the damn lockring back inplace to hold down the pump assy.

i would say change the pump it's probally weak

Get a gas pressure gauge from autozone etc to test whether pump holds pressure. If it is dropping pressure quickly after being turned off then the check valve in the pump is probably bad and a new pump is in order and on your model yr it probalby means droping the tank. If yours is like the older ones w. the pump and lines going in on the front side of the tank then no drop is needed. Usually if the long crank is only on cold restart and not hot restart then it is likely the check valve. Some have inserted a bmw inline check valve in the line form the pump to avoid a new pump install.

I saved the following from an earlier post (soory I can,t credit the author):"The BMW fuel check valve part number 16 14 9 068 988 fits between the filter and the fuel rail since its connections match this section of fuel hose. I installed one a couple days ago and it works fine. The unit comes with about a foot of 8mmx13mm fuel line, hose clamps, insulation and plastic nut covers for $3-5. It is necessary to make room for the valve, but that is not hard. Call a dealer and order one, or it may be in stock."

Good Luck Greg

Back